Dr. Nikki Tucker receives scholarship to Institute for Teaching and Learning
Nikki Tucker, DDS, clinical assistant professor in the Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, has been selected to receive a 2018 American Dental Education Association/Academy of Academic Leadership (ADEA/AAL) Faculty of Color Tuition Scholarship for Professional Development through the Institute for Teaching and Learning (ITL).
The scholarship supports professional development activities for faculty of color in dental and allied dental education who are in the early stages of their careers. The ADEA/AAL ITL provides six days of intensive onsite learning, discussions and networking with faculty from the United States, Canada and abroad.
Dr. Tucker will be recognized for the scholarship at the 2018 American Dental Education Association Annual Session & Exhibition in Orlando, Florida, on March 19, 2018. She will attend the ADEA/AAL Institute for Teaching and Learning in 2018.
“I am very honored to receive the scholarship and look forward to attending the Institute. I look forward to gaining new information to enhance my skills as an educator at ECU School of Dental Medicine,” said Dr. Tucker.
Dr. Tucker joined the ECU School of Dental Medicine in June of 2017. Prior to ECU, she served as an associate at private dental practices in High Point, Burlington, and Greensboro/Winston-Salem, N.C. She earned a DDS from Howard University College of Dentistry.
The ADEA/AAL Institute for Teaching and Learning curriculum offers these topics:
- Shaping a teaching philosophy
- Instructional course design
- Effective clinical teaching strategies
- Working effectively with students facing challenges
- Motivational interviews in the clinic/community
- Case-based learning and problem-based learning
- Enhancing learning environments to maximize student motivation
- Linking assessments with student learning.
- Developing rubrics
- Assessing student learning outcomes
- Academic integrity and ethics
- Teaching and feedback styles
- Calibrating skill-based performance