Areas of Research Include:
- Anatomical Analysis of the Velopharyngeal Mechanism & Musculature using MRI and Computer Imaging
- Velar Velocities, Displacement, and Transition Times for Specified Speech Samples based on Sex and Race
- MRI Analysis of Nasopharyngeal Volume Changes based on Age, Gender & Race
- Resonance Disorders & Structural Anomalies related to 22Q11.1 Deletion Syndrome
- Systematic Review of Continuous Positive Airway Pressure for the Remediation of Hypernasality
- MRI Analysis of the Superior Pharyngeal Constrictor Muscle: Differences in Age, Race & Gender
- MRI Analysis of Normative measures of the Musculus Uvulae in the Infant and Child Population
- Cross-sectional Changes in Velopharyngeal Musculature
- Cross-sectional changes in Vocal Tract Volume
- Aerodynamic and Nasalence differences by Race
- Analysis of Volumetric Segmentation of Levator Veli Palatini in the Black and White Populations
- Craniometric & Volumetric Analysis of Dynamic MRI measures of Cleft vs Noncleft Anatomy in Children
Current Grant Funding:
Mason K, Perry JL, Riski JE. (2015). Examining the Insertion Site of Pharyngoplasties as an Outcome for Determining Success Cleft Palate Foundation Junior Investigator Grant. American Cleft-Palate Craniofacial Association. Amount: $5,000. Funded.
Schenck GC, Perry JL, Fang X (2015). Velopharyngeal Muscle Morphology in Children with Congenital Palatal Microforms. J. Daniel Subtelny Clinical Research Grant, Cleft Palate Foundation. Total Amount: $5,000 direct costs. Funded.
Perry JL, Fafulas S, Holt Y, Mendez L. assessing levels of nasality among children whose primary language is Spanish. Interdisciplinary Research Collaboration Award. Total Amount: $15,900. Funded.
Rangarathnam B, Perry JL, Cox K, Wright H (2014). The Effects of Lab Instruction on the Knowledge and Self-Perception of Anatomy and Physiology Skill in Juniors in the Communication Sciences and Disorders Major. Council of Academic Programs in Communication Sciences and Disorders (CAPCSD). Total Amount: $5,000. Funded.
Perry JL, Blemker S (multi-PI) (2014). MRI-based modeling to understand anatomical basis of velopharyngeal dysfunction. National Institute of Deafness and Other Communication Disorders; R21. Total Amount: $250,000 direct costs. Funded.
Perry JL, Marcus J, Kollara L (2014). Morphological Variations in Velopharyngeal Muscles Among Individuals with 22q11.2 Deletion Syndrome. Cleft Palate Foundation; Cleft Lip/Palate and Craniofacial Anomalies Research Grant. Total Amount: $10,000. Funded.
Kollara-Sunil L, Perry JL, Marcus, J (2014). Gravitational Influences on the Velopharyngeal Structures among Children. Cleft Palate Foundation Grant; Karlind Moller Research Grant. Total Amount: $500.00. Funded.