Source: Alex L. Manly Papers Manuscript Collection #65
Staff Person: Martha Elmore
Description: Alexander L. Manly was born near Raleigh in 1866 and was the editor of an African American newspaper, the Wilmington Record, he and his brother Frank owned in Wilmington, North Carolina. The brothers became the target of violence after publishing an editorial (written by Alex) in August 1898 that upset the white citizens of Wilmington. Their printing offices were destroyed by a mob in November 10, 1898, but the brothers escaped due in large part to their light skin color. At the time of the violence, Alex’s fiancée Caroline “Carrie” Sampson Sadgwar was performing in England with the Fisk Jubilee Singers. After her return, they were married in Washington, D.C., and moved to Pennsylvania. The document below is a typescript (done by their son Milo Manly) of a letter written by Carrie Manly to her sons Milo A. Manly and Lewin Manly. Typescripts of nine letters (1953-1955) written by her to her sons detailing the story of her life are in this collection. In this January 14, 1954, letter she relates the story of the Wilmington Race Riot and her future husband’s escape to safety.
Source: 55-01-0506 University Archives
Staff Person: Dale Sauter
Description: Since we are under considerable construction at present, the following image offers some past history of construction of and around Joyner Library. The image features an exterior view of J.Y. Joyner Library on the East Carolina University campus during the 1974 construction of the west wing addition to the library. Mendenhall Student Center in the background.
Collection: Jesse Rountree Moye Papers, MC #1111
Staff Member: Nanette Hardison
The image below is of a program for an event held on May 27, 1932 in Farmville, North Carolina. This event celebrated the 60th anniversary of the founding of Farmville, the bicentennial of the birth of George Washington, the marking of the Old Plank Road and the memory of Alfred Moye. Shown below is the program for the event which included a number of local speakers.
Source: Robert Frederick Sink Papers, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #255
Staff Person: Lynette Lundin
Description: A Photograph of the General of the Army Douglas MacArthur, General Robert A. McClure, Lieutenant General Robert Frederick Sink. Lieutenant General Robert Frederick Sink was born in Lexington, North Carolina and served in both World War II and Korea. General Sink had a distinguished career as a pioneer in the use of airborne warfare. As commander of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the Army Airborne Corps, he was sent to Europe in 1942. He subsequently participated in the Allied Invasion of Normandy, parachuting under cover of dark before seaborne troops landed. His troops saw action at the Battle of the Bulge at Bastogne. After World War II, he served as Chief of Staff of the RYUKUS command (1949), assistant commander of the Seventh Infantry Division in Korea (1951), and member of the Joint Airborne Troop Board at Fort Bragg, North Carolina (1954). In 1958, Sink was given command of the Strategic Army Corps (STRAC) and the 18th Airborne. In 1960, he was promoted to the rank of lieutenant general and took command of the U.S. Army in the Caribbean, a post he held until his retirement in 1961 due to poor health. Sink died at Fort Bragg in 1965.
Staff Person: Ralph Scott
Description: This chart was part of a large survey done by the Hydrographic Office of the U.S. Navy just prior to the Civil War. The survey was conducted by Alexander Dallas Bache (1806-1867) Superintendent, and under the local supervision of John Newland Maffitt (1819-1886). Using these charts Maffitt, later in the Confederate Navy, was known as the “Prince of the Privateers” for his extraordinary success as a blockade runner and commerce raider. Maffitt also commanded the CSS Albemarle which dominated the Roanoke River for a time during the war. Of special interest on this chart is Carolina City, NC which was a rival to a development to the east by John Motley Moreland called Shepard’s Point. Both developments were merged into Morehead City. For more information on Carolina City please visit: http://friendsoffortmacon.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/The-Lost-Carolina-City.pdf
Source: Daily Reflector Negative Collection 741.19.c.15
Staff Person: Dale Sauter
Description: Today’s feature shows an unidentified woman pulling a turkey out of the oven during the holidays in 1959. This may bring back many memories of your past holidays.
Source: Roy S. Fisk Papers, #1209
Staff Person: Nanette Hardison
The draft notice shown here that is dated June 17, 1918, was issued to Roy S. Fisk to induct him into the United States military service. The notice informs Fisk that he is to report to his local draft board on June 26, 1918. Fisk served during the latter half of World War I as an Army cook with Company C, 131st Engineers, American Expeditionary Forces and was stationed in Le Mans, France.
Source: Jan Sellars Coward Collection, (Manuscript Collection #1112)
Staff Person: Jennifer Joyner
Description: With Fall approaching, many are visiting the beach for the last time this season. One tourist attraction at the North Carolina coast is the Bodie Island Lighthouse. Located south of Nags Head, the current Bodie Island Lighthouse was built in 1872. Two other Bodie Island Lighthouse structures, no longer in existence, were built in 1847 and 1859. Today’s structure stands 150 feet tall and has a signal that’s visible for 19 miles. The Bodie Island Lighthouse recently underwent a massive 3-year, $5 million restoration. It reopened in April 2013, and the public can now climb all 214 steps to the top of the lighthouse to enjoy the views of the Outer Banks.
This undated image of the Bodie Island Lighthouse was taken by Jan Sellers Coward of eastern North Carolina. For other images of eastern North Carolina, see the Jan Sellars Coward Collection (#1112), East Carolina Manuscript Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library.
Source: Minges Collection (Manuscript Collection #1136)
Staff Person: Dale Sauter
Description: Advertisement, Pepsi-Cola Announces Skywriting in Chicago, circa 1930s.