National Bank Building, Greenville, N.C.

Source: Tabitha Marie DeVisconti Papers, East Carolina Manuscript Collection, #480

Staff Person: Maury York

Description:

National Bank Building, Greenville, N.C.

National Bank Building, Greenville, N.C.

National Bank Building, Greenville, N.C. This post card depicts the National Bank Building, which was constructed between 1911 and 1916 by the firm of Higgs, Hardee, and Laughinghouse at Five Points in Greenville. Five Points was the intersection of Fifth Street, Evans Street, and Dickinson Avenue. In addition to the bank, the triangular-shaped structure in 1916 housed offices, a barber, and a dry goods business. In later years, the bank was known as the State Bank. The structure was demolished in the 1970s by the Redevelopment Commission and the street pattern was radically altered as part of Greenville’s ambitious urban renewal program. The post card can be found in the Tabitha Marie DeVisconti Papers http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/special/ead/findingaids/0480/ in the East Carolina Manuscript Collection. Records concerning the management of the National Bank Building in the 1910s and 1920s are available in the Charles O’Hagan Laughinghouse Papers. http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/special/ead/findingaids/0270/

National Bank Building, Greenville, N.C.

National Bank Building, Greenville, N.C.

Valentine’s Day Postcards

Source: Gracie Fulk Collection, 1909-1925, undated, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #938

Valentine's Day postcards

Valentine's Day postcards

Staff Person: Brian Johnson

Description:

The images shown below are Valentine’s Day postcards received by Gracie Fulk in 1924. These and many other postcards can be seen in collection #938 in the Special Collections Department at Joyner Library at http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/special/ead/findingaids/0938/.

The collection consists of 174 postcards from 1909 to 1927 received by Miss Gracie A. Fulk, of Timberville, Virginia, from family and friends, during the period when she grew from childhood to adulthood. Included are birthday cards, Civil War battlefield cards, and those depicting World War I training scenes, parks, and vacations. Other cards relate to holidays including Christmas, Easter, New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving and Valentine’s Day. Some of the cards feature places in Virginia, California, Florida, Maryland, New York City, Pennsylvania, Washington, and Ontario.

Valentine's Day postcards

Valentine's Day postcards

Valentine's Day postcards

Valentine's Day postcards

Click on the images to see an enlarged version.



USS LACKAWANNA Cabinet Card (1882)

Source: Preliminary Inventory of the Albert Parker Niblack Collection, 1876-1942; East Carolina Manuscript Collection #1080

Postcard, depicting officers of the U.S.S. LACKAWANNA

Postcard, depicting officers of the U.S.S. LACKAWANNA

Staff Person: Jonathan Dembo

Description:

 This 1882 cabinet card shows portraits of 17 officers inset around a photograph of their ship, the USS LACKAWANNA. Captain Henry Wilson is featured in the center of the top row between his higher ranking subordinates. The lower ranking officers are in the lower rows. The lowest ranking, most junior officer in the view is Ensign Alfred Parker Niblack, Naval Academy Class of 1880, who appears at the extreme right of the bottom row in civilian dress. It was his first assignment after graduating.

Niblack (1858-1929) was born in Vincennes, Indiana and was appointed to the Naval Academy in 1876. He graduated in 1880 and was immediately posted to the LACKAWANNA and served there for two years. Niblack quickly made a name for himself in the Navy for his initiative, resourcefulness, diplomatic skills, and tactical and navigating skills. In 1887, while still an ensign, Niblack commanded the small 23-ton launch USS COSMO, which was being towed by the USS PATTERSON to Alaska. In weather so severe that at least one other large ship sank, COSMO‘s two lines parted and Niblack was forced to sail his newly built and badly leaking boat several hundred miles to Astoria, Oregon. Despite the fact that the storm caused much damage to the boat and 5 of the 7 crewmen were seasick much of the time, Niblack brought his command and crew home safely to port.

In later years, Niblack served on many ships and held several shore posts including the Smithsonian Institution, the Bureau of Navigation, and a tour in the Office of Naval Intelligence. He published numerous works on naval engineering, navigation, and tactics. He won his first significant command, USS IROQUOIS, in 1904, and subsequently commanded numerous other ships including USS HARTFORD and USS OLYMPIA. He was naval attache to Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Germany and The Netherlands, and served as a member of the General Board of the Navy. He saw significant action in the Battle of Manila in the Spanish American war in 1899 and the Occupation of Vera Cruz Mexico in 1914.

In World War I, Niblack commanded Division 1 of the U.S. Atlantic Fleet, with USS ALABAMA (BB-8) as his flagship. While in European waters, he was promoted to Rear Admiral in August 1917. In October he took command of Squadron 2, Patrol Force, and served in this post through the Armistice. In March 1919 he became Director of Naval Intelligence and U.S. Naval Attache in London in August 1920. As Vice Admiral he commanded all U.S. Naval Forces in European waters from January 1921 to June 1922. After commanding the 6th Naval District at Charleston, S.C. for a year, Niblack retired in July 1923 and retired to the South of France. He died at Monte Carlo, Monaco on 20 August 1929. In 1940, the destroyer USS NIBLACK (DD-424) was named in honor of Vice Admiral Niblack, sponsored by his widow.

Made by Reiman & Co., of San Francisco, California this cabinet card is fairly typical of the genre. By 1882 cabinet cards like these had supplanted the smaller cartes de visites that had been popular in the 1860s and 1870s. They were acquired as souvenirs, and collected or traded like baseball cards. Cabinet cards remained popular into the early twentieth century, when home photograpy became economical. This cabinet card is one of several in the Albert Parker Niblack Papers (#1080).

The LACKAWANNA was veteran of the Civil War. Named for a river in Pennsylvania LACKAWANNA was launched by the New York Navy Yard in August 1862. A screw sloop-of-war she joined the Union blockade of the southern coast of the Confederacy, principally off Mobile Bay until the war ended. LACKAWANNA captured several Confederate blockade runners during the war. She also participated in Admiral Farragut’s conquest of Mobile Bay on 5 August 1864. In 1866, LACKAWANNA was reassigned to the Pacific Fleet and operated in the Pacific, in Hawaii, along the coast of California and Mexico, and in the Far East until she was finally decommissioned at Mare Island 7 April 1885.

You may access the finding aid to the Alfred Parker Niblack Papers at: http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/special/ead/findingaids/1080/

Click on the image to view an enlarged version.

Postcards of President & Mrs. William H. Taft in Inauguration Parade & Departure of ex-President Theodore Roosevelt, March 4, 1909

Source: William E. Elmore Collection, East Carolina Manuscript Collection, #39

Staff Person: Martha Elmore

Description:

These postcard images depict the departure of President Theodore Roosevelt’s carriage from the White House and the newly sworn in President William H. Taft and his wife Helen Herron Taft riding in a carriage in Taft’s inauguration parade from the Capitol to the White House. The inauguration took place on March 4, 1909, and these images were taken by the Harris & Ewing Photography Studio in Washington, D.C. The studio was founded by George W. Harris and Martha Ewing in 1905. Martha Ewing sold her interest to Harris in 1915 and he continued the news service until 1945; it was considered the busiest studio in the country when he sold it.

Postcard photograph of ex-President Roosevelt leaving Capitol, March 4th 1909, Washington D.C.

Postcard photograph of ex-President Roosevelt leaving Capitol, March 4th 1909, Washington D.C.

The postcard depicting the Tafts contains the following caption: “An Unprecedented Event. Mrs. Wm. H. Taft Accompaning [sic] President Taft Inaugural Parade.” According to the U.S. Senate Rules Committee website, this was the first time that a First Lady accompanied her husband on the ride from the Capitol to the White House after the inauguration.

Postcard photograph of Pres. William H. Taft and his wife

Postcard photograph of Pres. William H. Taft and his wife

These postcards (numbered as follows: 39.4.b.183 and 39.4.b.182) were part of a collection belonging to Lucy Warren Myers (1900-1984) of Greensboro, N.C., when she was a child. She married James Skinner Ficklen, Sr., in 1922 and they lived in Greenville, N.C., raising two sons.

For more information concerning the collection containing these postcards, go to the finding aid for the William E. Elmore Collection #39 found at http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/special/ead/findingaids/0039/. For more information on the Harris & Ewing studio go to http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2000/11/13/focus8.html.

Postcard (1908) of Children Playing in Bogue Sound at Morehead City, N.C.

Source: William E. Elmore Collection, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #39

Staff Person: Martha Elmore

Description:

"The kids, " Morehead City, N.C.

"The kids, " Morehead City, N.C.

This image of children wading in Bogue Sound at Morehead City, N.C., is from a postcard mailed to Miss Lucy Warren Myers of Greensboro, N.C., and was postmarked 1908. The location depicted is of the pier behind the Atlantic Hotel and the image was created by renowned New Bern, N.C., photographer Bayard Wootten.

Lucy Warren Myers was born October 27, 1900, and died April 24, 1984. She married James Skinner Ficklen, Sr., of Greenville, N.C., on April 26, 1922, and lived in Greenville at 508 West Fifth Street while raising two sons. Their Greenville residence is now owned by the Iota Rho Chapter of the Zeta Tau Alpha Sorority of ECU. The Dowdy-Ficklen football stadium at ECU is partially named in honor of James Skinner Ficklen, Sr.

This postcard was part of an album containing postcards (postmarked from 1908 to 1910) sent to Lucy Warren Myers when she was a child. Represented in the album are views from several states and even a few from foreign countries, but the majority are of North Carolina locations.

For more information concerning this postcard album and other Ficklen family material, go to the finding aid for the William E. Elmore Collection #39 at http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/special/ead/findingaids/0039. Background information concerning the Ficklen family was gathered from The Chronicles of Pitt County, North Carolina (p. 299) published by the Pitt County Historical Society, Inc., in 1982, which can be found in the North Carolina Collection and on the Special Collections Reference shelves.

Post Card of the movie "Pitch a Boogie Woogie"

Source: John W. Warner Papers, 1947-1986, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #519

Staff Person: Martha Elmore

Description:

“Pitch a Boogie Woogie” was the first movie made by a North Carolina-based production company. It featured an all-African American cast of mostly Greenville, N.C., performers and was released in 1948 by Lord-Warner Pictures, Inc. Though successful in North and South Carolina theatres, it was never shown outside that area. In 1986, East Carolina University Professor of English Alex Albright rediscovered the movie, which led to television exposure on PBS, an exhibit at the Greenville Museum of Art and a proclamation by N.C. Governor James Martin of “Pitch a Boogie Woogie Week.” Among actors in the movie who were still living in the area in 1986 was Beatrice Atkinson, an employee of Joyner Library at East Carolina University. Researchers interested in material concerning “Pitch a Boogie Woogie” will also want to look at the Boogie in Black and White Documentary Collection #1086.

Lord-Warner Pictures, Inc. presents Pitch a Boogie Woogie

Lord-Warner Pictures, Inc. presents Pitch a Boogie Woogie

To view an enlarged version of the image, click on the image above.

Evans Street, Greenville, NC, ca. 1910

Source: Frank M. Wooten, Jr. Papers, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #126

Evans St., Greenville, N.C.

Evans St., Greenville, N.C.

Staff Person: Nanette Hardison

Description:
This picture, which is on a postcard, is of Evans Street here in Greenville in the early part of this century (ca. 1900-1920). The postcard is part of the Frank M. Wooten, Jr. Papers (Collection #126). The finding aid for the Wooten Papers is available at Manuscript Collection #126. If you have questions or are interested in seeing more of this collection, the staff at Special Collections will be glad to assist you.