Source: PresidentWright’s Chapel Talk CH1050.2.1.1.6 University Archives
Staff Person: Ken Harbit
East Carolina Teachers College President Robert H. Wright’s “Chapel Talks” were given to students every morning from 9:30 to 10:25 six days a week. Chapel Talks typically consisted of a reading from the Bible followed by Wright’s thoughts regarding the Bible passage or some other moral instruction for the students, along with any news, schedule changes, or other announcements. The subject of this address is the budgetary process and Wright’s concern over the lack of funds for East Carolina Teachers College.
This photograph features Chancellor Leo Jenkins along with Jack Minges and Waightstill H. “Booger” Scales at the famed Copacabana Club in New York City. Taken in October of 1963, the trio had much to celebrate including the recent opening of Ficklen Stadium. Scales, considered East Carolina’s greatest fundraiser, organized a group that sought donations from Greenville area businesses to fund the stadium’s construction. Scales and his committee raised nearly $215,000 (approximately $1,524,894 in 2010, adjusted for inflation) in a single week. Scales later assisted and served as the first president of the Century Club (now Pirate Club). As a testament to their efforts on behalf of East Carolina, Minges Coliseum and W.H. Scales Field House bear the names of these men. Both facilities are instrumental to the continued success of Pirate Athletics. To learn more about the growth of East Carolina University, please visit the University Archives.
Source: University Archives, UA50-06-1010-01
Staff Person: Kacy Guill
The first graduation ceremony at East Carolina Teachers Training School occurred in May 1910. No degrees were awarded, but several students completed a one-year program for rural teachers. Beginning with the 1910 ceremonies through the 1940s, graduation ceremonies were multi-day events lasting as many as four days. Activities included a commencement sermon on the Sunday before the ceremonies, class day exercises, a commencement recital, an alumnae dinner, and graduating exercises.
Closing Exercises of the East Carolina Teachers’ Training School, May 20, 1910. UA50-06-1010-01. University Archives, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina.
Source: George A. Holderness, Jr. Papers, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #672
Staff Person: Martha Elmore
Jamestown Festival official program.
The celebration of the 400th anniversary of the founding of Jamestown, Va., was just held on May 11th, 12th and 13th, 2007. For the non-Virginians or non-historians reading this, I will point out that Jamestown is considered the first successful English colony in what is now the United States of America. Every fifty years starting in 1807 a big celebration of Jamestown’s founding is held.
The East Carolina Manuscript Collection in Special Collections has several items from the 1907 Jamestown Exposition and the 1957 Jamestown Festival such as postcards and official programs. Pictured here is the cover of the official program for the Jamestown Festival of 1957. This program is found in the George A. Holderness, Jr., Papers (Collection #672). Mr. Holderness (November 10, 1900-April 1987) was a rear admiral in the U.S. Navy and a native of Tarboro, N.C. His papers contain correspondence, military records, and photographs concerning his naval career as well as this Jamestown Festival program and a souvenir booklet from the festival. One could surmise that he or someone in his family attended the festival.
The biggest difference between the earlier celebrations and this year’s celebration is the recent discovery of James Fort by Dr. William Kelso in 1994. Previously it was believed that the James River had washed away the fort. Many of the over 1,000,000 artifacts recovered since 1994 are now on display in the new Archaerium.