Woman’s Portrait, Civil War

Source: Moore Family Papers (ECU Manuscript Collection #275)

Staff Person: Lynette Lundin

Description:

Guilford Andrews carried this woman’s portrait during the Civil War. Andrews was a member of Company E. 43rd Regiment, known as “The Edgecombe Boys”.  He enlisted at the age of 22 on January 28th 1862.  He was mustered in at Camp Mangum, near Raleigh. He was wounded in the elbow at or near Bethesda Church, Virginia, on May 30th 1864. http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/totopotomoy-creek/maps/totopotomoy-creek-may.html He returned to duty on September-October, 1864, and was promoted to Corporal, on November 1, 1864. He was then captured near Petersburg, Virginia on March 25, 1865. He was a prisoner at Point Lookout, Maryland, and he was released on June 22, 1865, after taking the Oath of Allegiance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Lookout,_Maryland

The daguerreotype#  P-275/112, was produced on a silver coated, copper 1/9-plate, and the cover to the case is missing. The date of the image is September 26, 1863, at Orange Court House. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_county_courthouses_in_North_Carolina

J. H. Rose on Telephone

Source: Daily Reflector Negative Collection 741.25.a.36

Staff Person: Ralph Scott

Description: J. H. Rose, Civil Defense Manager for Pitt County, talks on telephone during Hurricane Donna in September of 1960. Hurricane Donna touched every state on the East Coast from Florida to Maine. In North Carolina there were eight deaths and 100 injured with property damage over five million dollars.

WWI Era Letter

Source: James G. Raby Papers, Manuscript Collection #317

Staff Person: Nanette Hardison

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The James G. Raby Papers consists of handwritten letters from James G. Raby; a physician from Leggett, North Carolina who served as a 2nd Lieutenant during World War I. This particular letter dated October 8, 1918 is one written by him to his sweetheart and it contains a description of the influenza epidemic that occurred in Rocky Mount and Tarboro (1918-1919).

 

Houses on West First Street, with Sycamore Hill Baptist Church in the background, Greenville, NC

Houses on West First Street, Greenville, NC

Houses on West First Street, Greenville, NC

 

Source: Greenville Urban Renewal Files, 1959-1977, Manuscript Collection #674, Image P674/197

Staff Person: Dale Sauter

Description: Houses on West First Street, with Sycamore Hill Baptist Church in the background. Part of the Drive Redevelopment Project, Greenville, NC, circa 1960s.

There will be a related Community Scanning Day on Saturday, March 4, 2017, 9am until 1pm at Sycamore Hill Missionary Baptist Church, 1001 Hooker Road, Greenville, North Carolina, 27834.

Help us preserve your history! If you have photographs of the downtown Greenville area, or other items, please contact: Charlotte Fitz Daniels at FITZDANIELSC16@ECU.EDU or 252 328-0287

Also, please visit this related exhibit and reception.

“Beyond Bricks and Mortar” documents the people who lived and worshipped in the former neighborhood adjacent to the historic Sycamore Hill Missionary Baptist Church in downtown Greenville, NC.

Location:  Janice Hardison Faulkner Gallery, Joyner Library, East Carolina University

Exhibition Dates: January 20 – March 26, 2017

Reception: Friday, March 3, 2017, 5pm until 8pm

Auditor’s Statement, A.C. Monk & Company, July 13, 1920

Source:    A.C. Monk & Company/A.C. Monk Family Collection, 1907-2004  ECMC # 1285

Staff Person: Fred Harrison

Description: Originating just prior to WWI under the name Monk Adams Company, Wilson, N.C, A.C. Monk & Company officially began business in Farmville, N.C. on May 10, 1922.

The company’s records recently donated to the East Carolina Manuscript Collection attest to a continuous period of impressive growth.  The firm soon became one of the  nation’s leading dealers in leaf-tobacco.

According to Albert Monk III, grandson of A.C. Monk, the company’s initial wealth relied heavily on  diverse business interests: namely, farmland, a furniture store and funeral home. In the late 1980s; however, it was decided that in order to grow, the company had to get bigger.

As such, on July 13, 1990, the business merged with a competitor to form Monk-Austin Inc. Another merger later that decade resulted in the creation of DIMON Inc. which emerged to become the second largest leaf-tobacco merchant in the world. Monk family members retained some  indirect ownership in this entity until its eventual acquisition by Alliance One in the early 2000s.

On view here is an auditor’s statement from July 13, 1920, one of a nearly intact collection of business papers spanning from approximately 1916 to the early 2010s. Company founder, A.C. Monk, Sr. died on June 6, 1948.  Sons, Albert C., Robert Turnage and William C.  succeeded him.

Affidavit of John A. Richardson in the Trial of Thomas Brady, March 4, 1872

Source: Henry Berry Lowrie Papers, 1864-1872 Manuscript Collection #1271

Staff Person: Fred Harrison

Description: Solicitor  John A. Richardson motions to have Thomas Brady’s trial moved out of Robeson County, N.C. owing to strong feeling among the citizens there that Brady’s murder of Stephen Locklier was “considered to have been a good deed.” Brady was connected to a band of outlaws known as the Lowrie (also spelled Lowry) Gang who resisted the Confederate Home Guard in the area of Robeson County during the Civil War as well as their successors in the period running through the early 1870s.

An interesting period account of the Lowrie Gang is available in George Alfred Townsend’s The Swamp Outlaws: or, The North Carolina Bandits : Being a Complete History of the Modern Rob Roys and Robin Hoods (1872). The Langford North Carolina Collection has a recent reprint available for use among its reference holdings under the call number NoCar Ref F262.R6 S93 2015.

Also noteworthy and available for free electronic access through East Carolina University Digital Collections is The Lowrie History: As Acted in Part by Henry Berry Lowrie, The Great North Carolina Bandit, with Biographical Sketch of His Associates (Lumberton, N.C.: Lumbee Pub. Co., c1909) at https://digital.lib.ecu.edu/17019 .

 

Saudi Arabian Guests February 12-14, 1945

Saudi Guests 1945

Saudi Arabian Guests February 12-14, 1945 Aboard the USS QUINCY

Source: David L. Byrd Papers (#734.1.c)

Staff Person: Jonathan Dembo

On his return from the Yalta Conference in February 1945, President Franklin D. Roosevelt, met King Saud [Abdul Aziz Ibn Abdul Rahman al Faisal al Saud] of Saudi Arabia to establish a postwar alliance between the United States and Saudi Arabia. The Saudis needed to find a new ally to replace the rapidly weakening Royal Navy, which had protected Saudi independence for decades. The Americans wanted to ensure a growing and reliable source of oil to ensure the postwar recovery of the world economy. The meetings took place, during 12-14 February, aboard the American cruiser USS QUINCY (CA-71) which lay at anchor in the Great Bitter Lake portion of the Suez Canal. Despite the dissimilarities between the sides, the agreements which emerged have proved highly successful. The US agreed to defend Saudi independence and the Saudis agreed to be a reliable source of energy for the world. The agreement hammered out at the QUINCY meetings remain in effect to this day, despite serious misgivings on both sides, and recurrent tensions over the policies of each nation.

The attached document, headed “Saudi Arabian Guests February 12-14, 1945”, lists the members of the entourage which accompanied King Saud during his stay aboard the QUINCY. It was published to help the ship’s crew check the identity of the visitors. The list was preserved by David L. Byrd, who was a member of the US Naval Academy’s class of 1941 and junior officer aboard the QUINCY. He donated the David L. Byrd Papers to East Carolina University in 1996.

The King’s named entourage makes very interesting reading. It includes several expected members: the King’s brother and sons; his ministers and counsellors, his chaplain, and his physicians, various tribal representatives, and their various assistants, interpreters, and specialists. However, the list also has a medieval quality in that it includes the King’s astrologer and fortune-teller, his food-taster and caterer, his chamberlain and valet, the Royal purse-bearer, and two ceremonial coffee-servers. Even more interesting, however, are the unnamed members of the entourage, which included 10 guards armed with sabres and daggers, 3 valets, one for each of the royals, and “9 Miscellaneous slaves: cooks, porters, scullions” a total of 48 individuals. Reading the list, one has to wonder what the QUINCY’s crewmen, especially the African Americans among them, might have thought about the proceedings. Nearing the end of a great World War to defeat enemies whose stated goal was to enslave the world, the American president was welcoming slaves aboard an American warship, making an alliance with their masters, and then permitting the slaves to be taken off the ship, without making any effort to free them.

Anniversary Program

CollectionJesse Rountree Moye Papers, MC #1111

Staff Member: Nanette Hardison

The image below is of a program for an event held on May 27, 1932 in Farmville, North Carolina. This event celebrated the 60th anniversary of the founding of Farmville,  the bicentennial of the  birth of George Washington, the marking of the Old Plank Road and the memory of Alfred Moye. Shown below is the program for the event which included a number of local speakers.

 

WWI Draft Notice

Source: Roy S. Fisk Papers, #1209

Staff Person: Nanette Hardison

The draft notice shown here that is dated June 17, 1918, was issued to Roy S. Fisk to induct him into the United States military service. The notice informs Fisk that he is to report to his local draft board on June 26, 1918. Fisk served during the latter half of World War I as an Army cook with Company C, 131st Engineers, American Expeditionary Forces and was stationed in Le Mans, France.

1 2 3 24