Talking Trash Can in Downtown Greenville

Source: Daily Reflector Negative Collection, Manuscript Collection #741

Staff Person: Maury York

Description: The City of Greenville in 1958 used talking trash cans to encourage residents to keep streets and sidewalks clean. This one was located near Five Points–the intersection of Fifth Street, Evans Street, and Dickinson Avenue.

Father Maurice Tew and Children, 1961

Source: Daily Reflector Negative Collection East Carolina Manuscript Collection #741.26.a.7

Staff Person: Maury York

Description: Father Maurice Tew came to Greenville from West Springfield, Massachusetts, in 1935 to assist the priest at St. Peter’s Catholic Church. Charged with the responsibility of ministering to African Americans in the city, Father Maurice spearheaded the construction of a mission church on West Fifth Street. Named in honor of St. Gabriel of the Sorrowful Mother, the church was dedicated on March 1, 1936. In 1956 the church built a school for African American children. The nuns who taught the eight grades lived in a convent across the street. Of the 170 students who enrolled in the school initially, most were not members of the Catholic Church. A man with good sense of humor, Father Maurice endeared himself to many, as this photograph would indicate. He employed both radio and television broadcasts as a means of outreach to the broader community. (Source: Greenville Times, June 26-July 9, 1991).

Father Maurice with Children

Pitt County Bookmobile

Source: Daily Reflector Image Collection (East Carolina Manuscript Collection #741.10.e.14)

Staff person: Matt Reynolds

Description:
This is an image of Pitt County’s second bookmobile from the spring of 1956.  Essentially operating as mobile libraries, bookmobiles were used to deliver books and other materials to areas that did not have traditional library buildings.  These programs were especially effective in granting access to rural and housebound people. This particular bookmobile was manufactured by the Gerstenslager Company.

Image of the Pitt County Bookmobile

The New Era: Washington, N.C. Occupied March 1862

Source: North Carolina Collection (Uncataloged Rare Materials)

Staff Person:     Fred W. Harrison 

Description:      War officially reached the port town of Washington in March 1862, with the arrival of Federal troops escorted by the gunboat Picket. According to one account, ”two companies and a band marched from the wharf to the courthouse playing national aires.” 

As evidenced by this rare edition of a Yankee newspaper dated June 25, 1862, and operating in Washington, Union forces quickly assumed control of business activity and general functions of the town. James H. Turner and A.W. Hahn are listed respectively as editor and printer of the paper.  Found within the four pages are reports of Rhode Island’s presentation of a magnificent sword to Gen. Ambrose Burnside and a speech by  Edward Stanley, Provisional Governor of North Carolina, appointed by President Lincoln.  Stanley delivered an address to the citizens of the state in Washington on June 17, 1862.

The Lost Children a poem by Randall Jarrell

 

 

Source: #1169.5 Wright Collection/ Randall Jarrell Papers, East Carolina Manuscript Collection

Staff Person: Lynette Lundin 

Description: 

The Randall Jarrell Papers are dated 1913 to 1989. The manuscript collection includes correspondence, essays, manuscripts, printed poems, notes, original art, AV materials and books. He was an American poet of distinction, author and educator. Some of his notable instructors in college were Robert Penn Warren, Allen Tate, and John Crowe Ransom.

The newspaper article is from The Carolinian, dated October 22, 1965. The review was written by Dr Robert Watson of Jarrell’s book “The Lost World.” The article has excerpts from the book and the poem “The Lost Children and a brief biography.

Thanksgiving at ECTC

Source: UA50.05.01 – East Carolina Teachers College News, December 8, 1924.

Staff Person: Kacy Guill

Description:  In the 1920s, East Carolina Teachers College students were only given one day off from classes for the Thanksgiving holiday and most students spent the day on campus.  Special events for students usually included a Thanksgiving service, special readings, music, and a basketball game.

Hurricane Donna Damage

Source:  Daily Reflector Negative Collection #741
Staff Person:  Martha Elmore

Description:  According to NOAA, Hurricane Donna is the only hurricane on record to produce hurricane-force winds along the entire Atlantic Coast of the U.S.  The 1960 hurricane reached Eastern North Carolina on September 11th when it made landfall at Topsail Island.  Although the Outer Banks took the brunt of the storm, damage was experienced as far inland as Goldsboro and Greenville.  The photograph below was taken either September 12th or 13th in the W. 10th Street area in Greenville.

 

Imperial Tobacco Company Factory Employees

Source: Daily Reflector Negative Collection #741.11.a.7

Staff Person:  Martha Elmore

Description:  In this August 1956 image taken for the Greenville, N.C., Daily Reflector newspaper,  African American women are sorting tobacco at the Imperial Tobacco Company factory.  Many other images related to tobacco production from the field, to the barns, to the warehouse, and finally to the factories can be found in the Daily Reflector Negative Collection.

Baseball Has Come A Long Way At College

Baseball Has Come Long Way At College

Baseball Has Come Long Way At College

Source: University Archives

Staff Person: Brian Johnson

Description:

The image shown is of an article titled, “Baseball Has Come Long Way At College” by Lloyd Whitfield. It was printed in the May 11, 1951 issue of the Teco Echo, ECU’s campus newspaper. The article describes the first 20 years of baseball at ECU.  This and other articles are located in the University Archives.

Football Practice Now Underway

Source: University Archives

Staff Person: Brian Johnson

Description:

With the start of the 77th football season for East Carolina University we can take a look back at how it all started. The image from the 1933 Tecoan and the article from the October 9, 1932 Teco Echo below represent the first football team’s origin, its roster and the players themselves.

These items and others like it can be found in the University Archives in RG# SL2650, series 1 and 2 and Special Ref. 1927 E3X.

Teco Echo, volume IX, Number 2

Teco Echo, volume IX, Number 2

First Football Team

First Football Team