Staff Person: Maury York
This postcard depicts the Pitt County Courthouse prior to its destruction by fire in 1910. Located on the site of the present courthouse (Third and Evans streets in Greenville), the building was designed by Dabney Cosby (1779-1862), who apparently moved to Greenville to undertake the project. He is listed in the 1860 census as an eighty-two-year-old architect. According to the Chronicles of Pitt County (1982), the building was begun in 1858 to replace the previous courthouse, which had burned, but was not completed until 1878. This postcard is from the Moore Family Papers in the East Carolina Manuscript Collection.