Source: Edward Merritt McEachern, Jr., Collection #25.2.c
Staff Person: Martha Elmore
Description: The Keeley Institute in Greensboro, N.C., was established circa 1891 and it survived until 1961. From 1906 on the Institute operated at Blandwood, the former home of N.C. Governor John Motley Morehead. The Greensboro location was just one of over more than 200 branches of the original Keeley Institute founded in 1879 in Dwight, Illinois, for the purpose of administering the Keeley Cure to alcoholics. [Source: Wikipedia and Preservation Greensboro Incorporated]
This undated pamphlet illustrates the before and after caricatures of an alcoholic who takes the cure at the Keeley Institute in Greensboro, N.C. The top half of the pamphlet opens up to reveal the cured patient. For a related collection, see the William H. Osborn Papers Manuscript Collection #41. Col. Osborn owned the Keeley Institute in Greensboro for many years.