Foy Land Record
Source: Robert Lee Foy Manuscript Collection, East Carolina Manuscript Collection
Staff Person: Brian Johnson
The diagram below exhibits a plan of One Hundred & Sixty Six Acres of Land for Thos. Eubank (from Thos. Foy) Beginning at a Pine Pollock’s Corner & runs South 30 W 92 poles to a White Oak, (Foy’s beginning) thence South 75 E 100 poles to a Black Jack in Foy’s old line, thence No. 15 E. 140 poles to a Pine, thence No. 60 W. 100 poles, thence to the Beginning.
Chas. Markland, Surveyor.
This diagram is not dated, but Thomas Foy was living in Craven County in 1766. His will was dated 8 January 1788, Probated, December Term 1789.
The Foy family settled in southeastern North Carolina prior to the American Revolution, and James Foy, Jr., purchased Poplar Grove Plantation at Scott’s Hill in 1795. Poplar Grove was owned originally by Cornelius Harnett and his colonial mill site is still visible on the plantation. The present Foy home was built by Joseph Montford Foy around 1850 and is now owned by his grandson, Robert Lee Foy, Sr.
This document and others can be found in the Robert Lee Foy Collection #32 in the East Carolina Manuscript Collection
Click on the image to see an enlarged version.