Source: Frank M. Wooten, Jr., Papers (Manuscript Collection #126)
Staff Person: Martha Elmore
Description: These two postcards were sent from Beaufort, N.C., in July of 1911 to Mrs. Julia Wooten of Greenville, N.C., from Pattie. Perhaps Pattie was staying at the Inlet Inn pictured on one of the postcards, and she probably wore one of the black woolen bathing suits that women and children are wearing in the other postcard. The original Inlet Inn was built in the 1850’s as a private home, became a boarding house in the early 1900’s and was bought by Congressman Charles Abernathy in 1911. He added onto the building substantially and opened it as the Inlet Inn. In 1967, all but one wing was torn down so that a BB&T bank could be built; a new Inlet Inn was built in 1985. [Source for information on Inlet Inn is found at http://inlet-inn.com/history-of-the-inn/.]
Source: Junius D. Grimes Papers (#571)
Staff Person: Lynette Lundin
Take a step back in time to 1914 Greenville, N. C., in this C. E. Weaver Series, “Illustrated Cities”, by Central Publishing Co., Inc., in Richmond, Virginia. Greenville was growing and changing: The Center Brick Warehouse was selling Bright Leaf Tobacco (93,762 pounds avg. at $24.55 per hundred). The Flanagan Buggy Co. distributed products throughout Virginia, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Florida and Alabama. The Greenville Ice and Coal Co. was a necessity for this community. The R.L. Smith Stables sold and exchanged horses and mules. The East Carolina Teachers Training School is now called East Carolina University; the campus consisted of the Power House, Dining Hall, Infirmary, Dormitories and the Administration Building and the soon to be erected library, gymnasium and the President’s Residence. These are just a few highlights from the pamphlet from the Junius D. Grimes Papers #571.
Source: Tabitha Marie DiVisconti Papers, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #480
Lobby of Wright Hotel, Raleigh, North Carolina.
Staff Person: Brian Johnson
This image is of the lobby of the Wright Hotel in Raleigh, NC. The woman in this photo is Sue May DeVisconti. Seated next to her is her husband, Benjamin Streeter Sheppard Jr.. One point of interest is that, as I recall, the style of shoes she is wearing in this photo was quite popular in the mid 1990’s.
Sue May DeVisconti (1893-1946) attended St. Mary’s College in Raleigh, N.C. (1911-1912), and then married Benjamin Streeter Sheppard, Jr., in 1912. They moved to Florida where Sheppard was employed as an insurance agent. In 1920 they purchased the Wright Hotel in Raleigh, which they operated and then sold in 1924. They traveled throughout the Midwest and West, reaching California in 1926, and then returned to Raleigh to start a real estate business. In 1934, the Sheppards moved back to Farmville, where her sister, Tabitha Marie DeVicsonti, was the librarian.
This photo and many others can be found in the Manuscript Collection in the Special Collections department. The finding aid for this location can be found at Manuscript Collection #480
Source: Albert A. Joseph Collection, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #682
Proctor Hotel Lobby, Greenville North Carolina
Staff Person: Brian Johnson
This is a photo of the lobby of the historic Proctor Hotel located at Third and Evans St. in Greenville. The hotel was in operation at the time of World War I and was considered one of the finest hotels in North Carolina. It had sixty rooms that were equipped with hot and cold running water, electric call bells and many of the rooms had a private bath. There were electric elevators and electric lights. It featured a lobby, office, large dining room and reading rooms. It was elegantly furnished and had an “air of refinement” according to a brochure of Greenville published in 1914. Renovated in 2004, the four story building is now named the Self Help Building. This photo and many more scenes of North Carolina can be found in the Albert A. Joseph Collection (call #682) in the Manuscript Collection of the Special Collections Department. Finding aid: Manuscript Collection 682.