ECU's Historic Relationship with the Railroad

Source: University Archives

Our Own College Railroad

Our Own College Railroad

Staff Person: Kacy Guill

Description:

The first years of East Carolina University’s history are in many ways tied to the railroad. The Atlantic Coastline Railroad was built through Greenville in 1889 and the Norfolk Southern intersected Greenville and the Atlantic Coastline in 1907, making Greenville accessible to the rest of the state and a possible location for a normal school. The first students at East Carolina Teachers Training School came to Greenville by train, and then took the school jitney from the train station to the campus. Students continued to come primarily by train through the 1940s.

The back of the luggage tag was used to label the ceremonial shovel supposedly used in the college’s groundbreaking. The first men’s dormitory referred to on the tag would have been Jarvis Hall. Two other men’s dormitories were established in 1947, when the number of men enrolled surpassed women for the first time.

In the late 1920s a supply track was built from the Norfolk Southern tracks to haul coal to the campus power plant.

Luggage Tag

Luggage Tag

Student Handbook

Source: University Archives, E.C. 378.756 Ea771k 1926-34

Staff Person: Brian Johnson

Description:

The images below are from the 1926-1927 Hand Book of East Carolina Teachers College. Of particular interest in the handbook are the Social Regulations. A portion of these regulations are listed below.

1. Calling hours are from 3:30 to 5:45 p.m. on week days; on Sundays from 4:00 to 5:45 p.m.; in evenings from 8:00 to 10:15 p.m.

2. Students who expect company on Sunday (relatives or friends) must file their own names and room number, and the names of the people who are to come. These must be filed not later than Saturday.

3. When a student wishes to go calling, she must sign her name, the name and address of the person upon whom she wishes to call, and file in the office of the Lady Principal not later than 1:45 p.m. on the day she wishes to call. If she hears nothing further from the Lady Principal, it is understood that her request is granted.

4. After public entertainments students may converse with guests, but must bid them good night before leaving the Administration Building.

5. Students must not dine at restaurants, go to any office or to the rail road station without special permission from the Lady Principal.

6. Students may speak to young men on the street, but not carry on an extended conversation with them, or walk with them.

7. Students must wear hats when shopping or calling.

These handbooks were originally printed by the YWCA and are quite small, measuring 4 3/4″ x 3″. Some hyperlinked footnotes have been added to aid the reader.

The Student Handbook is available for researchers to use in the library in the North Carolina Collection, call number Joyner NC Reference LD1741 E44 A15x, and in the University Archives.

Citation for this excerpt is:

East Carolina Teachers College. YWCA. Hand Book of East Carolina Teachers College. Greenville, N.C.: The College, 1926. pp. 37-48.

Click on each image belong to view the larger version

Hand Book of East Carolina Teachers College

Hand Book of East Carolina Teachers College

Hand Book of East Carolina Teachers College

Hand Book of East Carolina Teachers College

Hand Book of East Carolina Teachers College

Hand Book of East Carolina Teachers College

Hand Book of East Carolina Teachers College

Hand Book of East Carolina Teachers College

Pat Dye Show Script, October 21, 1979

Source: University Archives IA0000:18:2:1:1; IA0000:18:2:1:3

Staff Person: L. K. Gypsye Legge

Description:

TV Feature for Pat Dye Show (IA0000:18:2:1:1)

TV Feature for Pat Dye Show (IA0000:18:2:1:1)

Every fall, as the leaves begin to color and the air get cooler, thoughts at many campuses turn to football. At East Carolina, the Pirates’ fans begin to plan tailgate menus, and purple is the color most often seen all over Greenville, North Carolina. Even as we have fresh hopes for a better season than ever, it is also nice to remember times past.

The item above is the production script for an episode of the Pat Dye Show, from the University Archives. For those not familiar with the history of Pirate football, Pat Dye was the coach of the Pirates for six years, and this script is from what would turn out to be his final season as head coach. Coach Dye recognized that football is more than what happens on the field. It is the spectacle, the culture of a town that was named a Sportstown, USA by Sports Illustrated and all that surrounds the game matters too. In this episode, the role of the band major is discussed. We have the footage from this episode, pictured below. These films are currently “closed materials,” because of lack of surety that they can be projected safely. As funds become available, Special Collections will preserve films in the collection so that all materials can be made available. Those who are interested in this project are welcome to contact the University Archives for further information.

Pat Dye Film Reels (IA0000:18:2:1:3)

Pat Dye Film Reels (IA0000:18:2:1:3)

Click on the images to see an enlarged version.

We Choose America

Source: We Choose America, Hoover E 169.1.W5x

We choose America / Tom Williams

We choose America / Tom Williams

Staff Person: Ralph Scott

Description:

We Choose America was East Carolina University’s literary contribution to the 1976 American bi-centennial. Written at the height of the Cold War, the volume pokes fun at Communism using the American view of perceived differences between life in the Soviet Union and the “blessings of our…way of life.” Published about ten years after the Cuban missile crisis and a year after the Watergate scandal, the book does not once mention the Soviet Union, but rather refers to “The Communists” and “Russia” throughout. The author of the work was Thomas A. Williams, a professor of Foreign Languages and Literature at East Carolina. Williams was editor of Era Press (the Equal Rights Amendment to the U.S. Constitution had passed the U.S. Congress in 1972), and The New East Magazine. The work is illustrated by Pulitzer Prize-winning Charlotte Observer cartoonist Eugene G. Payne. The foreword to the small pamphlet was written by East Carolina University Chancellor Leo W. Jenkins.

Williams, Thomas A. “We Choose America,” (Greenville, N.C., Era Press, 1975), 48pp. Hoover Collection E 169.1 W5x and North Carolina Collection.

Golden Treasury of Songs and Lyrics

Source: University Archives, Call #AA0100/16/1/J39

Front cover and bookplate of Golden treasury of songs and lyrics

Front cover and bookplate of Golden treasury of songs and lyrics

Staff Person: L.K. Gypsye Legge

Description:

This is an image of a little volume titled Golden Treasury of Songs and Lyrics. This small book may be of interest to researchers from various disciplines, but it has become part of the University Archives for its intrinsic value. The bookplate for this item, pictured below, indicates that at one time it was volume J39 of the East Carolina Teachers Training School Library.

It seems likely that this was the 39th volume added to the Juvenile collection. The Building History of J. Y. Joyner Library tells us, “From the beginning of East Carolina Teachers Training School, the library was located in the original Austin Building….” [http://media.lib.ecu.edu/archives/bldg_history.cfm?id=66, accessed 3 July 2008] The school did not have an appointed librarian until 1923, [http://web.lib.ecu.edu/images/fa/faaa0100.html, accessed 3 July 2008] and documents suggest that Robert Wright originally handled many of those duties, as the book collection was housed next to his office.

Therefore, this volume has value beyond the information it contains. It represents a part of the knowledge ECTTS strove to give its students, to enrich the lives of their future pupils. The University Archives seeks to collect as many of the earliest books as may still be present in J. Y. Joyner Library. If a book with one of these plates is located, please contact the University Archives.

Click on the images to see an enlarged version.

Front cover and bookplate of Golden treasury of songs and lyrics

Front cover and bookplate of Golden treasury of songs and lyrics

Barefoot on the Mall 2008

Source: University Archives (digital image being accessioned)

Staff Person: L.K. Gypsye Legge

Description:

Last week we enjoyed delightful weather in Eastern North Carolina. Thursday, the 24th of April was sunny and warm, but breezy enough to make an afternoon outside a delight even without a festival of fun for its own sake. Happily, Pirates and their friends got to do both, with the 29th celebration of Barefoot on the Mall. Research in the University Archives revealed that this event was created in 1979 by Laura Lauffer. According to an unsigned feature article in the 1990 Buccaneer, Ms. Lauffer was a senior at Rose High School, interning at ECU when she suggested a day of music, crafts, refreshments, and booths for student organizations. Ken Hammond is quoted as saying the name was chosen“… because she wanted the festival to be something the students come to barefoot, and relaxed.”

A page from the 1979 Buccaneer shows a smaller crowd on a cooler day:

Page 256 of the 1979 Buccaneer

Page 256 of the 1979 Buccaneer

Page 257 of the 1979 Buccaneer

Page 257 of the 1979 Buccaneer

Poignantly, the 1990 article goes on to relate that Ms. Lauffer did not attend ECU, or any college in the Fall of 1979, because she was paralyzed when her car was struck by a drunk driver. Now, ECU can accommodate students of many abilities, and the office of Disability Support Services makes the Home of the Pirates even more diverse and welcoming! Information about the services offered can be found at: http://www.ecu.edu/cs%2Dstudentlife/dss/

The picture below is a new addition to the University Archives as it was created in a digital format last week. You can find out more about this year’s event, and see other images, at: http://www.ecu.edu/cs-admin/mktg/barefoot_on_the_mall_08.cfm>

Barefoot on the Mall, 2008

Barefoot on the Mall, 2008

The Library Club, from the 1958 Buccaneer and Synergy, 2008

Source: University Archives, Special Ref LB 1927.E3x 1958

The Library Club, 1958

The Library Club, 1958

Staff Person: L.K. Gypsye Legge

Description:

As we continue to celebrate ECU’s Centennial through 2009 there are many times that looking at the past makes the present all the more meaningful. Pictured above is the The Library Club, circa 1958. The image of the Library Club is from the 1958 Buccaneer, which has been the yearbook since 1953, with a few lapses in publication. Below is a 2008 image of the current student club for Joyner Library’s interest and support: Synergy. Synergy will be part of the 2008 Buccaneer. There is not much we know about the Library Club beyond this image, but future researchers will have much more information about Synergy, since the Founder and Advisor has already made a visit to the University Archives to make sure the correct items are being saved in the best way.

University Archives goes well beyond the formal records of the business of the University, although that is the principle focus. Memorabilia, records of community events, and extracurricular activities are all a part of “ECU’s Memory.”

Copies of all available years of the Buccaneer are available in the Special Collections’ Search Room on the 4th floor of Joyner Library.

The Library Club, 2008

The Library Club, 2008

New Year Message

Source: East Carolina Teachers College News, SL 2650 Series 1, Sub-series 1

East Carolina Teachers College News Vol. 1, No. 6

East Carolina Teachers College News Vol. 1, No. 6

Staff Person: Brian Johnson

Description:

This image is an excerpt from the January 7, 1924, Vol. 1, No. 6 issue of the East Carolina Teachers College News. The first article in this issue is a New Year message from College President, Robert Wright, containing some common sense advice given to the students on the first morning of the spring semester. Part of this advice was, “Don’t waste time regretting the past, yesterday is gone and tomorrow is yet in your grasp: only now is yours.”

This and many other University publications can be found in the University Archives http://www.ecu.edu/cs-lib/archives/fa.cfm

To view an enlarged version of the image, click on the image itself.

1914 Summer Class Photo (ECTTS)

Source: University Archives UW0000/2/4/7.1

Panoramic view of group in front of Old Austin

Panoramic view of group in front of Old Austin

Staff Person: L. K. Gypsye Legge

Description:

It is impossible to predict what may appear next in Special Collections. A phone call was made one afternoon to the Search Room desk. On the line was a woman who lives in Jackson, Mississippi. Her great-aunt was an alumna of East Carolina, and she had a picture to donate to University Archives that included her relative and Robert Wright in a group photo.

Maury York, Assistant Director and Head of Special Collections, was pleased to accept the donation when the donor came to Greenville, and the framed photo came to University Archives for accessioning. It was a delightful shock to realize what had been tentatively identified as an image from the 1920′s is, in fact, our only vintage copy of a photo published in the Volume 1 Number 2 issue of the [ECTTS] Training School Quarterly!

Photographic prints have much more detail than most mass printing methods, and especially printing from the early 20th Century. This photo will allow us to make higher quality images for reproduction, provide more detail for researchers to study and, given that this is the Centennial for ECU, reminds us that we should not think that we are done collecting or researching – something “new” can pop up any time!

ECC Patch

Source: University Archives, CH0001/3

East Carolina College Patch

East Carolina College Patch

Staff Person: Suellyn Lathrop

Description:
This patch is currently on display as part of the third installment of the Centennial Exhibits created by graduate student Adrienne Rae. Adrienne has done a great job putting together some really interesting exhibits. This month she is in the process of creating the fourth installment regarding East Carolina University 1967 – present. Please come visit now to see the East Carolina College exhibit and in October to see the East Carolina University exhibit. And don’t despair if you can’t make it over to Special Collections, the exhibiits are available online at: ECU Centennial Exhibit Series.

Click on the image to see an enlarged version.