Photograph of Confederate veterans and daughter

Taft Family Papers #784, East Carolina Manuscript Collection

Source:

Staff Person:  Dale Sauter

Description:  

Today’s staff pick features an undated photograph (left to right) of Major Orren Randolph Smith, his daughter Jessica and John T. B. Hoover. Smith and Hoover were both Confederate veterans who fought in the Civil War.  On the back of the photograph a statement is written that Smith created the “Stars and Bars” (the first official flag of the Confederacy), and that his daughter verified this in the 1940s.  However, it is also believed that Nicola Marschall (a Prussian artist), inspired by the Austrian flag, first designed the Confederate flag.  There became much conflict between the descendants of the two individuals regarding who was the first to design the flag.  Nevertheless, Smith’s tombstone in Henderson, North Carolina bears the inscription “designer of the Stars and Bars”.

William Woods Holden Election Handbill

Source: Benjamin B. Winborne Papers #691-005, East Carolina Manuscript Collection

Staff Person: Dale Sauter

Description:

Today’s staff pick features an original handbill (circa 1868) promoting the election of William Woods Holden for Governor and Tod Robinson Caldwell for the first ever position of Lieutenant Governor in North Carolina.  They were both elected to office.  Holden (1818-1892) was the only Chief Executive in North Carolina history to be impeached and removed from office (and the first in the nation to endure that indignity.)  Holden was posthumously and unanimously pardoned by the North Carolina Senate in 2011.

Tombstones in Old Town Cemetery

Source: Colbert P. Howell Collection(#989)

Colbert Howell, a resident of Murfreesboro, NC, shot a series of photographs of places in and around Murfreesboro which had historical significance. The photographs were displayed on the occasion of Murfreesboro Historical Week and of the establishment of the Murfreesboro Historical Society and of its’ Lafayette Ball. Pictured below is one of those photographs which is of tombstones located in Old Town Cemetery, Murfreesboro, NC.

Virginia Dare Shores, North Carolina 1927

Source: Virginia Dare Shores, North Carolina, Joyner NC Rare
HD1390.5 .V57 1927 

Staff Person: Lynette Lundin

Description:

This is a pamphlet by Carolina Development Company in it they give alluring descriptions of the Roanoke Colonies and its history endeavoring to sell the land. On page 5 there is a rare reprint of an original map by John White (1587). 

 

Annie Bruce Carr posing with her Dolls

Source: Elias Carr Papers, East Carolina Manuscript Collection, #160.9.e.29

Staff Person: Nanette Hardison

Description:

The image shown is of Annie Bruce Carr, daughter of  North Carolina Governor Elias Carr. She is sitting in front of a large tree holding her doll. She has twelve other dolls in various poses around her. The image dated 1888 was taken at Bracebridge, Edgecombe County, N.C., which was home of Gov. Carr. This image along with other images and documents can be found in the Elias Carr Papers, 1856-1910, #160.

William Hooper, Declaration of Independence Signer

Source: Joseph Hewes and William Hooper Collection, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #994

William Hooper Portrait, ca. 1787

William Hooper Portrait, ca. 1787

Staff Person: Nanette Hardison

Description:

William Hooper (1742-1790), a native of Boston who later moved to New Hanover County, N.C., was one of North Carolina’s three signers of the Declaration of Independence. He was an active delegate to Provincial Congresses in North Carolina and Continental Congresses, and later served in the North Carolina General Assembly. In 1782 Hooper purchased a home for his family in Hillsborough, where he practiced law.

This photograph of Hooper, along with one of fellow signer Joseph Hewes, was given to East Carolina Teachers College in 1926 by Fred A. Olds, collector for the North Carolina Historical Commission’s Hall of History in Raleigh. Information about these photographs and about the life of William Hooper can be obtained from the Joseph Hewes and William Hooper Collection, 1925-1926 http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/special/ead/findingaids/0994/).

Gazette of the United States and the NC Ratification of the US Constitution

Source: Gazette of the United States Collection, 1790, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #873

Gazette of the United States Collection

Gazette of the United States Collection

Staff Person: Jonathan Dembo

Description:

This particular issue of The Gazette of the United States from January 1790 is of special interest to North Carolinians. Page 314 of The Gazette (shown above, right hand page) includes a letter from President Washington announcing that a constitutional convention in the State of North Carolina had ratified the United States Constitution in November 1789. It also includes the full text of the resolution itself and a letter from Samuel Johnston, the President of the convention, conveying resolution. North Carolina was the 12th of the original 13 states to ratify the Constitution.

The Gazette is also of historical interest. It was first issued on April 15, 1789 to support President George Washington and the policies and candidates of the emerging Federalist Party. Originally published in New York, by its editor John Fenno, it moved to Philadelphia in 1790 when United States Government made that city its new temporary capital. A bi-weekly, it was sold throughout the country wherever the nation’s mail carriers could carry it.

Clearly partisan, The Gazette’s writers — often anonymous or pseudonymous–supported Federalist positions, politicians, or policies and criticized opponents of the government. It included many pieces containing personal attacks on Federalist opponents. Among the paper’s writers was Alexander Hamilton, who appeared under various noms de plume.

The Gazette was especially important in promoting the development of political parties and politics in the new nation. Its success also led to the rise of a competitor, the National Gazette, which was founded at the urging of anti-Federalist leaders Thomas Jefferson and James Madison in order to promote their own party. The anti-Federalist Party later evolved into today’s Democratic Party.

Gazette of the United States Collection

Gazette of the United States Collection

A facsimile of The Gazette will appear in a special exhibit of rare archival materials relating to the Constitution drawn from the Special Collections of Joyner Library. The exhibit will be on display in Mendenhall Student Center during the week of 14-20 September 2008. The exhibit will focus on freedom of speech and will appear as part of East Carolina University’s recognition of Constitution Day 2008.

Source: Gazette of the United States, Issue No. 30 (13 January 1790), Gazette of the United States Collection #873.1.os Special Collections Department, J. Y. Joyner Library.

You may access the finding aid to the Gazette of the United States Collection at http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/special/ead/findingaids/0873/

Click on the image to see an enlarged version.

Bermuda Map

Source: Mappa Aestivarum Insularum alias Barmudas dictarum [Bermuda map], Special Collections Map Collection MC0035

Staff Person: Ralph Scott

Description:

Mappa Aestivarum Insularum alias Barmudas dictarum [Bermuda map.] Amstelodami [Amsterdam,] Apud Henricum Hondium [Henry Hondius,] ca.1633?{some sources give date as 1621} 33 x 51 cm. Scale: 1:70,000. Special Collections Map Collection MC0035, Purchase, State Appropriated Funds, 2008.

Bermuda was discovered by the Europeans probably around 1503 and was included in Spanish charts as early as 1511. The island was named in honor of its supposed discoverer Juan de Bermudez. For around the next 100 years the island was visited by passing Portuguese and Spanish vessels looking for water. In 1609 the flagship of a Virginia Company fleet, the Sea Venture on a rescue mission to Jamestown, was wrecked on the island, leaving the English in control. This shipwreck is reported to have formed the basis for William Shakespeare’s play The Tempest. Bermuda at first passed to control of the Virginia Company and later in 1615 to the Somers Isles Company. Due to limited resources on the island, acts were passed in 1616 and 1620 banning the hunting of birds and turtles. These acts became the first conservation laws in the New World.

This map was drawn shortly after the Somers Isles Company took control of the island and was published, it is thought, in Amsterdam during the period 1621-1633. Distances on the map to Bermuda are given in “Stadiorum Milliarum” to Florida, Plymouth [Massachusetts], New England, Cape Henry, Cape Charles and Roanoak–the latter location marking the place of the famous “Lost Colony” of 1587. This map forms an interesting companion piece to other items in Special Collections, notably several travel accounts of the period and the “Croatan Archaeological site ring”.

To view an enlarged version of this image, click on the image itself.

Mappa Aestivarum Isularum alias Barmudas dictarum

Mappa Aestivarum Isularum alias Barmudas dictarum

Secotan

Source: Admiranda narratio, fida tamen, de commodis et incolarvm ritibvs Virginiae . . . , Joyner Rare F229.B78 1590

Staff Person: Maury York

Description:
This engraving depicts the Native American village of Secotan, located somewhere along the Pamlico River, at the time of Walter Raleigh’s 1585-86 colonization effort. Two important members of this colony were scientist Thomas Harriot and John White, a talented artist. Before leaving the area for his return to England, White made sketches of Indians that he later rendered in handsome watercolor paintings. In 1588, Harriot published A Briefe and True Report of the New Found Land of Virginia, which described portions of the coastal region of North Carolina and its inhabitants. Two years later, Theodor de Bry published this work along with a series of copperplate engravings based on the watercolors by John White. Editions appeared in English, French, German, and Latin. Recently Joyner Library, with the help of the Thomas Harriot College of Arts and Sciences, acquired a copy of the 1590 Latin edition of Harriot’s important text.

This image is particularly important because it reveals much about the agricultural practices of the Native Americans. Note the platform in the corn field used to scare away hungry birds!

Click on the image to see an enlarged version

Admiranda narratio, fida tamen, de commodis et incolarvm ritibvs Virginiae ... Anglico scripta sermone à Thoma Harriot

Admiranda narratio, fida tamen, de commodis et incolarvm ritibvs Virginiae ... Anglico scripta sermone à Thoma Harriot

The book, part of Joyner Library’s Rare Book Collection, is available for use in the Special Collections Department’s Search Room.

Jamestown 350th Anniversary in 1957

Source: George A. Holderness, Jr. Papers, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #672

Staff Person: Martha Elmore

Description:

Jamestown Festival official program.

Jamestown Festival official program.

The celebration of the 400th anniversary of the founding of Jamestown, Va., was just held on May 11th, 12th and 13th, 2007. For the non-Virginians or non-historians reading this, I will point out that Jamestown is considered the first successful English colony in what is now the United States of America. Every fifty years starting in 1807 a big celebration of Jamestown’s founding is held.

The East Carolina Manuscript Collection in Special Collections has several items from the 1907 Jamestown Exposition and the 1957 Jamestown Festival such as postcards and official programs. Pictured here is the cover of the official program for the Jamestown Festival of 1957. This program is found in the George A. Holderness, Jr., Papers (Collection #672). Mr. Holderness (November 10, 1900-April 1987) was a rear admiral in the U.S. Navy and a native of Tarboro, N.C. His papers contain correspondence, military records, and photographs concerning his naval career as well as this Jamestown Festival program and a souvenir booklet from the festival. One could surmise that he or someone in his family attended the festival.

The biggest difference between the earlier celebrations and this year’s celebration is the recent discovery of James Fort by Dr. William Kelso in 1994. Previously it was believed that the James River had washed away the fort. Many of the over 1,000,000 artifacts recovered since 1994 are now on display in the new Archaerium.