Valentine's Day Card

SourcePittman – Coffield Family Papers, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #1135.1.f

Staff Person:  Nanette Hardison

Description: Although greeting cards are normally not considered of great historical value, they can offer insight into the thought processes of people as well as a look at the types of greeting cards that were circulating during a given time period. This cute greeting card for Valentine’s Day is from the Pittman – Coffield Family Papers and although undated, appears to have been published around the 1920s.

1918 Christmas Party

Source: The Minges Collection, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #1136

Staff Person: Lynette Lundin

Description:

This collection documents the Minges family’s involvement in the manufacture of soft drinks, including Pepsi-Cola, in North Carolina. The materials in the collection date from the 1890′s to 1992 and focus on the development of Pepsi-Cola. Caleb Davis Bradham, born in Chinquapin, North Carolina, in 1867, attended the University of North Carolina in the late 1880s and then at the University of Maryland. As a Pharmacist in New Bern, Bradham on August 28, 1898, created Brad’s Drink, now called Pepsi-Cola. This image from the collection is of a 1918 Christmas Party taken by photographers Owen and Dunn. This collection was a gift of the Minges Bottling Group (Jeffrey M. Minges, president).

To find out more about this collection go to http://specialcollections.ecu.edu/special/ead/findingaids/1136/

Letter from Santa Claus, Amsterdam

Source: The William H. & Araminta Guilford Tripp Papers, 1849-1911, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #614

Staff Person: Lynette Lundin

Description:

William H. and Araminta Guilford Tripp were married in 1853 and lived on Mount Hope farm on the Pamlico River in Beaufort County. William H. Tripp was a member of the North Carolina House of Commons from 1850 until 1852. During the Civil War he served as a captain in Co. B of the 40th Regiment of N.C. Troops.

The collection consists chiefly of correspondence (1849-1911). The letter below is from Santa Claus, Amsterdam, to “Master Dick,” and was dated, December 24th (no year was given). The identity of the recipient is unknown. An unrelated poem was written in pencil in the opposite direction on the back of the letter.
The collection can be found at http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/special/ead/findingaids/0614/

Letter from Santa, page 1

Letter from Santa, page 1

Letter from Santa, page 2

Letter from Santa, page 2

Holiday Postcards

Source: Blanche Hardee Rives Papers, 1905-1974, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #335

Christmas postcard

Christmas postcard

Staff Person: Brian Johnson

Description:

The images below are holiday postcards for Thanksgiving and Christmas from the Blanche Hardee Rives Papers http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/special/ead/findingaids/0335/.

The Christmas Card was sent to Z.A. Dawsey Hardee, the brother of Blanche Hardee Rives, on 22 December 1913.

Blanche Hardee Rives (1887-1973), daughter of James Washington Hardee and Anna O. Lucas, resided in Enfield, Halifax County, N.C. She attended the Littleton Female College (1906-1908), after which she taught in the Hardee School, a small school near the plantation of her father. She married Ralph Cooper Rives in 1942. Throughout her life she participated in Methodist Protestant (United Methodist Church after 1939) activities. Other organizations in which she was active were the Hardrawee Home Demonstration Club, the Halifax Co. Home Demonstration Club, Order of the Eastern Star, Halifax County Historical Association, Northeastern North Carolina Branch of the English-Speaking Union, Frank M. Parker Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and Littleton College Memorial Association.

Thanksgiving card

Thanksgiving card

Thanksgiving card

Thanksgiving card

Chinese New Year, 1903

Letter of George Leland Dyer to Mrs. Dyer

Letter of George Leland Dyer to Mrs. Dyer

Source: Guide to the George Leland Dyer Papers, East Carolina Manuscript Collection, #340

Staff Person: Maury York

Description:

The Chinese New Year is one of that country’s most important holidays. It begins on the first day of the first lunar month, in late January or early February. In 1903, Commander George Leland Dyer, a U.S. naval officer, witnessed the Chinese New Year celebration in Shanghai. He described the celebration in a letter to his wife, dated January 31, 1903.

“We had a good look at Shanghai on an interesting occasion. It was the Chinese New Years and the streets were crowded with Chinese in gala dress. There was a continual passing of Chinese women in carriages of the hack variety and in rickshas. These people were all handsomely dressed in colored silks and were painted very perceptibly. Many women were also walking or stumping along on their deformed feet, all attended by women more plainly dressed. There were also many riders on the small ponies which seem to be in use. These were all Caucasians and men. I saw no ladies on horse back.”

Letter of George Leland Dyer to Mrs. Dyer

Letter of George Leland Dyer to Mrs. Dyer

Dyer was nearing the end of a long career in the Navy that had begun in 1870, when he was graduated with honors from the U. S. Naval Academy. His papers are a rich primary source for studying naval history. A finding aid for the George Leland Dyer Papers is available on the Special Collections Department’s website.

Christmas Celebrations in Wilkesboro, N.C., As Described in 1848 Letter

Source: Guide to the Hackett Family Papers, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #176

Staff Person: Martha Elmore

Description:

Dr. A. A. Scroggs of Wilkesboro, N.C. in Wilkes County, wrote to his future partner in medical practice Dr. Robert Franklin “Frank” Hackett on December 26, 1848. Dr. Hackett was then at Jefferson College in Philadelphia finishing his medical degree, which he received in 1849. Below is an excerpt from page two of the letter that depicts the celebration of Christmas among prominent families in Wilkesboro. The C. Gordon mentioned in the letter refers to Dr. Hackett’s future wife, Caroline Louise Gordon.

Letter from Dr. A. A. Scroggs of Wilkesboro, N.C., to Dr. Robert F. Hackett at Jefferson

Letter from Dr. A. A. Scroggs of Wilkesboro, N.C., to Dr. Robert F. Hackett at Jefferson

A transcription of the excerpt:

Yesterday (Christmas) passed of very quietly here. They had a “Fox Chase” in the morning which resulted in the Chasing of a Deer till they lost it and then the treeing of an illustrious old “buck rabbit.” This made the “Grand finale” of the day. They returned to Drink a few wash=bowlfuls of egg=nogg & rest during the day. “Mine host” gave us a Dinner at which were invited all the Episcopal brethern [sic] & Dr. Greis together with His Hon Wesley Reynolds; who is now an Episcopalian. We had a “Turkey” done up brown & Miss Lemirah [?] & Kate to set [?] off the table. Dr. Greis had services & Mr. Purvis had prayer=meeting at the old academy. We had a very good meeting–it was a very wet day. At night They danced at the Hotel till 11 O’clock. Lemirah [?] Kate, C. Gordon Laura Hackett & the little girls were their[sic] Dancing. The little Boys bursted Balls of Twine, shot pistols, etc. till our village seemed quite city=like and thus passed the day.

For more information see the Hackett Family Papers (#176) in the Special Collections Department of ECU’s Joyner Library at http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/special/ead/findingaids/0176. For further information on the Hackett family, see the Gordon and Hackett Family Papers in the Manuscripts Department of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Library at http://www.lib.unc.edu/mss/inv/g/Gordon_and_Hackett_Family.html.

Postcards of President & Mrs. William H. Taft in Inauguration Parade & Departure of ex-President Theodore Roosevelt, March 4, 1909

Source: William E. Elmore Collection, East Carolina Manuscript Collection, #39

Staff Person: Martha Elmore

Description:

These postcard images depict the departure of President Theodore Roosevelt’s carriage from the White House and the newly sworn in President William H. Taft and his wife Helen Herron Taft riding in a carriage in Taft’s inauguration parade from the Capitol to the White House. The inauguration took place on March 4, 1909, and these images were taken by the Harris & Ewing Photography Studio in Washington, D.C. The studio was founded by George W. Harris and Martha Ewing in 1905. Martha Ewing sold her interest to Harris in 1915 and he continued the news service until 1945; it was considered the busiest studio in the country when he sold it.

Postcard photograph of ex-President Roosevelt leaving Capitol, March 4th 1909, Washington D.C.

Postcard photograph of ex-President Roosevelt leaving Capitol, March 4th 1909, Washington D.C.

The postcard depicting the Tafts contains the following caption: “An Unprecedented Event. Mrs. Wm. H. Taft Accompaning [sic] President Taft Inaugural Parade.” According to the U.S. Senate Rules Committee website, this was the first time that a First Lady accompanied her husband on the ride from the Capitol to the White House after the inauguration.

Postcard photograph of Pres. William H. Taft and his wife

Postcard photograph of Pres. William H. Taft and his wife

These postcards (numbered as follows: 39.4.b.183 and 39.4.b.182) were part of a collection belonging to Lucy Warren Myers (1900-1984) of Greensboro, N.C., when she was a child. She married James Skinner Ficklen, Sr., in 1922 and they lived in Greenville, N.C., raising two sons.

For more information concerning the collection containing these postcards, go to the finding aid for the William E. Elmore Collection #39 found at http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/special/ead/findingaids/0039/. For more information on the Harris & Ewing studio go to http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2000/11/13/focus8.html.

Washington Park, Beaufort County, N.C., Photographs

Source: William Blount Rodman Papers, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #329

Staff Person: Martha Elmore

Description:

Washington Park is on a peninsula of land adjoining Washington, N.C., on the east. The land was sold to John Humphrey Small, Sr., in 1839 and was the property of his son U.S. Representative John H. Small, Jr., at the time that the town was laid out just prior to World War I. Washington Collegiate Institute, a coed private school owned by the Northern Methodist Church, was established in Washington Park in 1913. This highly respected school closed its doors during the Great Depression of the 1930s. Washington Park has been the site of many picnics and celebrations through the years. Linda B. Small in her publication Early History of Washington Park, 1839-1925 recites, “An annual event every spring was the Washington Park Picnic. Long tables were spread on the river shore and fried chicken, cakes, lemonade, and ice cream were served.” Below you will see two photographs of Washington Park from the early 20th Century. One has the caption “Picnic at Washington Park,” (photo number p-329105) and the other is captioned “Easter at Washington Park. Waiting for running race,” (photo number p-329109). Washington Park was incorporated as a town in 1923 and has 440 residents according to the 2000 census. These photographs are found in the William Blount Rodman Papers, Collection #329 (box 168, folder f).

To learn more about this collection, please go to: http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/special/ead/findingaids/0329/

To learn more about Washington Park, please go to: http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/historyfiction and read Linda Small’s book that was referenced above.

To view an enlarged version of the photographs, click on the images.

Picnic at Washington park

Picnic at Washington park

Easter at Washington Park. Waiting for running race

Easter at Washington Park. Waiting for running race