Pitt Community Hospital, Greenville, NC

Source: Frank Wooten Jr, Papers, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #126
David A. Norris Collection, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #687

Pitt Community Hospital, Greenville, N.C.

Pitt Community Hospital, Greenville, N.C.

Staff Person: Coleen Allen

Description:

The white building was Greenville’s original hospital know as Pitt Community Hospital, and was located on Johnston Street, parallel to East Fourth St. When the hospital opened in 1924, it had 42 acute-care beds.

The red brick building below, know as Pitt Memorial Hospital, was located on West Fifth Street and was built in the early 1950s. Later, an 80 bed addition raised the total capacity to 220 beds.

Today Pitt County Memorial Hospital is a 755 bed tertiary academic medical center that provides a comprehensive range of primary, secondary and tertiary medical services to residents of 29 counties in eastern North Carolina. During fiscal year 2006, PCMH set records in several different areas: Inpatient admissions: 36,983; Average inpatient census: 617; Operating room cases: 20, 411; Births: 3,882 and Emergency department visits: 55,354.

Is this progress?

Click on the images to see enlarged versions.

Pitt Memorial Hospital, Greenville, North Carolina

Pitt Memorial Hospital, Greenville, North Carolina

Kinchen Wiley Cobb

Source: William E. Elmore Collection, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #39

Staff Person: Martha Elmore

Description:
The image below is possibly of Kinchen Wiley Cobb of Greenville, N.C. According to a sketch written by his son Charles D. Cobb, Sr., in the Chronicles of Pitt County North Carolina (1982), Kinchen Cobb became Supervisor of the Greenville Tobacco Board of Trade around 1923 and remained in this position until just before World War II. He was responsible for directing tobacco sales and advertising the Greenville market. This image expertly illustrates the advertising aspect of his job. This photograph was bought at a rummage sale that Charles D. Cobb, Sr., held probably twenty years or more ago. If anyone can confirm who the man in the car is, please let us know so we can place this information with the photograph. This image (p-39/5) is part of the William E. Elmore Collection #39 and is found in box #39.5.a. The finding aid for this collection can be seen at Manuscript Collection 39.

Car advertising tobacco sales in Greenville.

Car advertising tobacco sales in Greenville.

Proctor Hotel, Greenville, NC

Source: Albert A. Joseph Collection, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #682

Proctor Hotel Lobby, Greenville North Carolina

Proctor Hotel Lobby, Greenville North Carolina

Staff Person: Brian Johnson

Description:
This is a photo of the lobby of the historic Proctor Hotel located at Third and Evans St. in Greenville. The hotel was in operation at the time of World War I and was considered one of the finest hotels in North Carolina. It had sixty rooms that were equipped with hot and cold running water, electric call bells and many of the rooms had a private bath. There were electric elevators and electric lights. It featured a lobby, office, large dining room and reading rooms. It was elegantly furnished and had an “air of refinement” according to a brochure of Greenville published in 1914. Renovated in 2004, the four story building is now named the Self Help Building. This photo and many more scenes of North Carolina can be found in the Albert A. Joseph Collection (call #682) in the Manuscript Collection of the Special Collections Department. Finding aid: Manuscript Collection 682.

Hardee’s Restaurant

Source: Daily Reflector Negative Collection, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #741

Staff Person: Dale Sauter

Description:
The image below documents the very first Hardee’s restaurant founded by Wilber Hardee. This photograph was taken in September 1960 for use in a Daily Reflector print advertisement to promote the grand opening of the restaurant. Contrary to popular belief, the first Hardee’s was not in Rocky Mount, but right down the road at 14th and Charles Streets. Part of the confusion exists because the first franchised version of the restaurant was in Rocky Mount. As the story goes, two businessmen from Rocky Mount partnered with Hardee but eventually gained control of the franchise.

Unfortunately, the original building no longer stands. Mr. Hardee has published a quite interesting account of his life (mostly spent in the local area) entitled The Life and Times of Wilber Hardee: Founder of Hardee’s. It is currently available in the NC Collection (TX910.5.H32 A4 2000).

A finding aid for the Daily Reflector Negative Collection, 1949-1967 is available at Manuscript Collection #741

We are currently working on a more detailed finding aid for this important collection that documents everyday life in the Greenville area. Please contact us with any questions or comments you may have.

Hardee's restaurant

Hardee's restaurant

Evans Street, Greenville, NC, ca. 1910

Source: Frank M. Wooten, Jr. Papers, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #126

Evans St., Greenville, N.C.

Evans St., Greenville, N.C.

Staff Person: Nanette Hardison

Description:
This picture, which is on a postcard, is of Evans Street here in Greenville in the early part of this century (ca. 1900-1920). The postcard is part of the Frank M. Wooten, Jr. Papers (Collection #126). The finding aid for the Wooten Papers is available at Manuscript Collection #126. If you have questions or are interested in seeing more of this collection, the staff at Special Collections will be glad to assist you.

Stadium Cleaners, Greenville, NC

Stadium cleaners ad

Stadium cleaners ad

Source: Daily Reflector Negative Collection, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #741

Staff Person: Dale Sauter

Description:
The image below may look familiar to many of you. This photograph was taken in October 1965 for use in a Daily Reflector print advertisement for the new Stadium Cleaners located at 10th and Cotanche Streets. The sign currently still stands, but unfortunately does not light up any longer as demonstrated in this image. It is also missing its “1 hr. Cleaners” bottom section. There is a resale shop in the building at the present time.

A finding aid for the Daily Reflector Negative Collection, 1949-1967 is available at Manuscript Collection 741 We are currently working on a more detailed finding aid for this important local history collection. Please contact us with any questions or comments you may have.