Anniversary Program

CollectionJesse Rountree Moye Papers, MC #1111

Staff Member: Nanette Hardison

The image below is of a program for an event held on May 27, 1932 in Farmville, North Carolina. This event celebrated the 60th anniversary of the founding of Farmville,  the bicentennial of the  birth of George Washington, the marking of the Old Plank Road and the memory of Alfred Moye. Shown below is the program for the event which included a number of local speakers.

 

Douglas MacArthur

00032222_tn_0001[1]

00032222_tn_0002[1]

Source: Robert Frederick Sink Papers, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #255

Staff Person: Lynette Lundin

Description: A Photograph of the General of the Army Douglas MacArthur, General Robert A. McClure, Lieutenant General Robert Frederick Sink. Lieutenant General Robert Frederick Sink was born in Lexington, North Carolina and served in both World War II and Korea. General Sink had a distinguished career as a pioneer in the use of airborne warfare. As commander of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the Army Airborne Corps, he was sent to Europe in 1942. He subsequently participated in the Allied Invasion of Normandy, parachuting under cover of dark before seaborne troops landed. His troops saw action at the Battle of the Bulge at Bastogne. After World War II, he served as Chief of Staff of the RYUKUS command (1949), assistant commander of the Seventh Infantry Division in Korea (1951), and member of the Joint Airborne Troop Board at Fort Bragg, North Carolina (1954). In 1958, Sink was given command of the Strategic Army Corps (STRAC) and the 18th Airborne. In 1960, he was promoted to the rank of lieutenant general and took command of the U.S. Army in the Caribbean, a post he held until his retirement in 1961 due to poor health. Sink died at Fort Bragg in 1965.

Chart of Beaufort Harbor, 1857

Source: North Carolina Map Collection, NCC Maps G3902 B42 P5 1857 U67

Staff Person: Ralph Scott

Description: This chart was part of a large survey done by the Hydrographic Office of the U.S. Navy just prior to the Civil War. The survey was conducted by Alexander Dallas Bache (1806-1867) Superintendent, and under the local supervision of John Newland Maffitt (1819-1886). Using these charts Maffitt, later in the Confederate Navy, was known as the “Prince of the Privateers” for his extraordinary success as a blockade runner and commerce raider. Maffitt also commanded the CSS Albemarle which dominated the Roanoke River for a time during the war. Of special interest on this chart is Carolina City, NC which was a rival to a development to the east by John Motley Moreland called Shepard’s Point. Both developments were merged into Morehead City. For more information on Carolina City please visit: http://friendsoffortmacon.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/The-Lost-Carolina-City.pdf

 

WWI Draft Notice

Source: Roy S. Fisk Papers, #1209

Staff Person: Nanette Hardison

The draft notice shown here that is dated June 17, 1918, was issued to Roy S. Fisk to induct him into the United States military service. The notice informs Fisk that he is to report to his local draft board on June 26, 1918. Fisk served during the latter half of World War I as an Army cook with Company C, 131st Engineers, American Expeditionary Forces and was stationed in Le Mans, France.

Flight Certificate

  • Source:  University Archives, Charles Price Papers (UA90-32-01-001)
  • Staff Person:  Arthur Carlson
  • Description:  This item from the University Archives served as notice that Charles Lewis Price was deemed fit to pilot aircraft in the United States Marine Corps Reserve.  Price was born in 1923 in Charlotte, NC where he attended King’s Business College before enlisting in the United States Navy in 1942.  Trained as a Naval Aviator, Price served as an active and reserve Marine Corps officer until 1953.  He joined the faculty of East Carolina College in 1957, teaching in the Department of History until his retirement in 1983.  He was honored that same year with the granting of emeritus status for his years of dedicated service.
UA90-32-01-001

Charles Price flight certificate

Bodie Island Lighthouse

Source: Jan Sellars Coward Collection, (Manuscript Collection #1112)

Staff Person: Jennifer Joyner

Description: With Fall approaching, many are visiting the beach for the last time this season. One tourist attraction at the North Carolina coast is the Bodie Island Lighthouse. Located south of Nags Head, the current Bodie Island Lighthouse was built in 1872. Two other Bodie Island Lighthouse structures, no longer in existence, were built in 1847 and 1859.  Today’s structure stands 150 feet tall and has a signal that’s visible for 19 miles. The Bodie Island Lighthouse recently underwent a massive 3-year, $5 million restoration. It reopened in April 2013, and the public can now climb all 214 steps to the top of the lighthouse to enjoy the views of the Outer Banks.

This undated image of the Bodie Island Lighthouse was taken by Jan Sellers Coward of eastern North Carolina. For other images of eastern North Carolina, see the Jan Sellars Coward Collection (#1112), East Carolina Manuscript Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library.

American Legion 40-Year Member Certificate

Source: Minnie B. Parker Scrapbook Manuscript Collection #89

Staff Person: Martha G. Elmore

Description: Minnie Bell Parker lived most of her adult life in Norfolk, Virginia,  after being born October 10, 1881, in Wilson Co., N.C.  She was a nurse and during World War I she was a nurse with the American Expeditionary Force in France.  After the war she was active in the American Legion and this colorful 40-year continuous membership certificate was presented to her on June 24, 1960.  She died in Raleigh, N.C., on July 5, 1976.  To see a scrapbook she kept while in France during World War I, go here https://digital.lib.ecu.edu/24594.

 

Thomas Smith Deed for 240 Acres, Bladen County, NC, 25 Sept. 1799

Thomas Smith Deed for 240 Acres of Land p. 1Thomas Smith Deed for 240 Acres of Land

Source:  Ralph C. Deal Collection (ECU Manuscript Collections #0027)

Staff Person:  Jonathan Dembo

Description:

This deed, survey and plat seen above, dated 25 September 1799, granting 240 acres of land in Bladen County, North Carolina to Thomas Smith, was signed by North Carolina Governor Richard Dobbs Spaight, who also signed the U. S. Constitution. Spaight (1758 – 1802) was North Carolina’s 8th governor after American independence. The first native-born American to be elected Governor, he served three one-year terms, 1792 – 1795.  Born in New Bern to the son of a colonial official, Spaight was educated in Ireland and Scotland.  He returned to America to serve as an aide to American General Richard Caswell, during the Revolutionary War, 1778 – 1781.

After the Revolution, Spaight served as a representative from North Carolina in the Continental Congress, 1782 – 1785, and in the North Carolina House of Commons, 1785 – 1788, where he became Speaker of the House.  In 1787 he became a delegate to the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia.  He was only 29 when he signed the document.

During his term as Governor, Raleigh was chosen as the site for the new State Capitol and Chapel Hill was chosen as the site for the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill. As governor, Spaight was also the chair of the first UNC Board of Trustees.  Spaight died in 1802 as the result of an wound sustained in a duel at New Bern with his bitter political rival, Federalist John Stanly.  Spaight’s son, Richard Dobbs Spaight, Jr. (1796 – 1850) served as both congressman, 1823 – 1825, and governor, 1835 – 1836;  his grandson, Richard Spaight Donnell (1820 – 1867) served as a congressman from North Carolina, 1847 – 1849.