Every spring the Staff Senate elects new senators and alternate senators. This year over 20 seats will be filled across eight divisions. All candidates were nominated by their peers and approved by their supervisor and Human Resources.
Each division is allotted senate seats based on the number of staff. One senator is elected for every 100 staff members. Each division also elects up to two alternate senators. The alternate senators are active delegates and participate in Senate and committee meetings. Senators are elected to a two year term while alternate senators serve a one year term. The Staff Senate reports to the Chancellor and works hard to represent the best interests of SPA, CSS, and EPA non-faculty employees. We also assist in communicating issues and activities affecting staff members and encourage a sense of community among all University employees.
You may wonder what the Staff Senate does for you? Just a recap of the activities the Staff Senate took part in during the 2013-2014 session:
- Worked with University Administrators to help make the Adverse Weather and Closure messages more clear for staff
- Organized the Health Walk on the Health Sciences Campus in the fall
- Organized the Staff Appreciation Week activities and give-aways for Spring 2014 (to include the Health Walk on East Campus)
- Participated in many volunteer activities across Pitt County
- Worked with the Chancellor and Executive Committee to re-work the Winter Break Schedule in order to maximize the time staff have off
- Provided an entire Thanksgiving meal (and a grocery gift card) for a very deserving family that was struggling with medical issues
- Worked with Human Resources regarding the new 24 month probation. Staff Senate ensured that staff could use leave and were eligible to take advantage of the Free Class benefit at the date of hire (not after the probationary period was over)
- Worked with ECU Human Resources to ensure Staff Senators were allotted time to serve in the Staff Senate, as well as 30 additional hours to use in volunteer service to ECU (Pirate Boarding Crews, Midnight Madness, etc…)
- Working with our ECU Human Resources and the Office of State Human Resources to get the 3rd free class reinstated
- Organized Staff Forums in order to communicate what is happening on campus with staff
- Worked with multiple committees regarding the future of East Carolina University (Committee on Fiscal Sustainability, Committee on the Status of Woman, Strategic Planning Committee, Parking Committee, etc…)
The Staff Senate is a terrific way for every employee to become more engaged with the University and REALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE! If you are not currently a part of the Staff Senate, please consider running for a Senator in Spring, 2015 (click here to learn more about the duties and responsibilities of an ECU Staff Senator), until then, please take a moment to vote for those employees that are currently running for the ECU Staff Senate.
As someone that is serving their 1st year on the ECU Staff Senate – this experience has been tremendously rewarding. I have had multiple face to face interactions with Chancellor Ballard, Dr. Locklear, Dr. Niswander, my Division Vice Chancellor, and many of the other Divisional Vice Chancellors. I feel that I have had important input on multiple Human Resources issues, and policies and procedures that directly impact staff.
Staff members may vote for candidates in their respective division though the online voting application.
Please take a moment to vote for your candidate(s) of choice within your division. The elections will be open until April 11 at 5pm.
Follow this link to the Survey:
Take the Survey
Or copy and paste the URL below into your internet browser: