Save the date!!! The ECU Staff Senate is sponsoring its annual Health Fitness Walk around Lake Laupus on Wednesday, October 29 from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm. We will have departments and organizations from all over campus (and a few vendors) set up at tables around the lake promoting a healthy and active lifestyle. This event is tons of fun as you can see from the pictures below (taken last year).
Any group that promotes an active/healthy lifestyle is encouraged to participate. Organizations of interest to staff are also welcome. Some participants from last year included: ECHI, ECU Pharmacy, Campus
Recreation and Wellness, ECU Physicians, ECU Bike Share, zumba/yoga demonstrations, and more!
Looking forward to seeing you there!!
Comments Off on Health Fitness Walk – October 29th, 2014
The culminating event of our 2014 Staff Appreciation Week was a prize drawing. Every staff member with a Banner ID was automatically entered in this drawing, the Staff Senate generated a randomized list in Excel and numbers were drawn. There were some really great prizes and we hope each staff member knows that whether they won a prize or not, you are truly appreciated!!
And the winners are……..
- Kimberly Smith, Honors College – SRC Prize Package 1
- Diane Hodges, Grants Admin – SRC Prize Package 2
- Renee Safford-White, Medical Foundation – SRC Prize Package 3
- Braden Jackson, Facilities West – SRC Prize Package 4
- Shanda Parish, ECUP IM Neurology – SRC Prize Package 5
- Brent Zimmer, ITCS – SRC Prize Package 6
- Beth Coghill, Academic Advising Center – Beauty Products
- Megan Taylor, Pediatrics Pulmonology – Sweet Pets Gift Certificate
- Stanley Wojcik, Facilities Services West – $25.00 Gift Card to Seahorse Restaurant
- Dorian Araneda, ECUP Transplant Surgery – Sylvan Heights Bird Park Tickets
- Laurie Driscoll, Pediatric Surgery – ECU Football Tickets
- Page Butler, ECHI Events, ECU Football Tickets
- Dionte Askew, ECU Printing and Graphics – $50 Gift Certificate to Firetower Work Shoes
- Jolene Jernigan, Student Health Services – Chili’s 2 meal 1
- Ashley Hill, AA Dept. of English – Chili’s 2 meal 2
- Grady Whitehurst, Facilities Services East – Chili’s 2 meal 3
- Jill Whitehurst, ECUP Neurosurgery 0 Chili’s 2 meal 4
- Emma Thompson, Thomas Professional Bldg. – Chilis’ meal 5
- Melissa Lloyd, ECUP Family Medicine – Panthers Football
- William Mallett, Office of International Affairs – Pandora Bracelet
- Tracy Baer, College of Nursing – $100 Care Bucks from University PC Care
- Pam Wynne, BSOM Pharmacology – $20 Gift Card to Sup Dogs
- Ryan Hunt, Athletics – $10 Gift Certificate to Tripp’s Restaurant
- Susan Clark, ECUP Neurosurgery – $10 Gift Certificate to Tripp’s Restaurant
- LeAnne Turner, Thomas Professional Bldg. – Gift Certificate for Free Entrée at Marathon Restaurant
Congratulations to all that won! We hope enjoy your prizes!
Many thanks to the local businesses that donated these wonderful prizes and to the Staff Senate Rewards and Recognition Committee for all their work in making Staff Appreciation Week such a success!
Comments Off on Winners of the Staff Appreciation Prize Give-Aways
Every spring the Staff Senate elects new senators and alternate senators. This year over 20 seats will be filled across eight divisions. All candidates were nominated by their peers and approved by their supervisor and Human Resources.
Each division is allotted senate seats based on the number of staff. One senator is elected for every 100 staff members. Each division also elects up to two alternate senators. The alternate senators are active delegates and participate in Senate and committee meetings. Senators are elected to a two year term while alternate senators serve a one year term. The Staff Senate reports to the Chancellor and works hard to represent the best interests of SPA, CSS, and EPA non-faculty employees. We also assist in communicating issues and activities affecting staff members and encourage a sense of community among all University employees.
You may wonder what the Staff Senate does for you? Just a recap of the activities the Staff Senate took part in during the 2013-2014 session:
- Worked with University Administrators to help make the Adverse Weather and Closure messages more clear for staff
- Organized the Health Walk on the Health Sciences Campus in the fall
- Organized the Staff Appreciation Week activities and give-aways for Spring 2014 (to include the Health Walk on East Campus)
- Participated in many volunteer activities across Pitt County
- Worked with the Chancellor and Executive Committee to re-work the Winter Break Schedule in order to maximize the time staff have off
- Provided an entire Thanksgiving meal (and a grocery gift card) for a very deserving family that was struggling with medical issues
- Worked with Human Resources regarding the new 24 month probation. Staff Senate ensured that staff could use leave and were eligible to take advantage of the Free Class benefit at the date of hire (not after the probationary period was over)
- Worked with ECU Human Resources to ensure Staff Senators were allotted time to serve in the Staff Senate, as well as 30 additional hours to use in volunteer service to ECU (Pirate Boarding Crews, Midnight Madness, etc…)
- Working with our ECU Human Resources and the Office of State Human Resources to get the 3rd free class reinstated
- Organized Staff Forums in order to communicate what is happening on campus with staff
- Worked with multiple committees regarding the future of East Carolina University (Committee on Fiscal Sustainability, Committee on the Status of Woman, Strategic Planning Committee, Parking Committee, etc…)
The Staff Senate is a terrific way for every employee to become more engaged with the University and REALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE! If you are not currently a part of the Staff Senate, please consider running for a Senator in Spring, 2015 (click here to learn more about the duties and responsibilities of an ECU Staff Senator), until then, please take a moment to vote for those employees that are currently running for the ECU Staff Senate.
As someone that is serving their 1st year on the ECU Staff Senate – this experience has been tremendously rewarding. I have had multiple face to face interactions with Chancellor Ballard, Dr. Locklear, Dr. Niswander, my Division Vice Chancellor, and many of the other Divisional Vice Chancellors. I feel that I have had important input on multiple Human Resources issues, and policies and procedures that directly impact staff.
Staff members may vote for candidates in their respective division though the online voting application.
Please take a moment to vote for your candidate(s) of choice within your division. The elections will be open until April 11 at 5pm.
Follow this link to the Survey:
Take the Survey
Or copy and paste the URL below into your internet browser:
Comments Off on Time to Vote for New Staff Senators
Mark your calendars, the 2014 ECU Staff Appreciation Week will be April 7th – 11th. The Staff Senate Rewards and Recognition Committee along with our Staff Senate Chair and Chair-Elect have been working very hard to ensure this year’s celebration is a GREAT one!
There are many local businesses in and around Greenville that appreciate the staff at ECU as well, so we would like to ask for everyone’s help in getting the awareness out there, so they can help us celebrate! If you know of any local businesses you would like us to contact, please send us their name and contact information (if available) and we will be sure to touch base with them, or if you would prefer, you can pass along the Staff Senate email address email@example.com, and the business can email us with the details of the discount, promotion, or donation they would like to offer.
This is a great opportunity for local businesses to show their support for the ECU Staff! Please note that all information must be received by March 21st, in order for us to be able to include their names in our Staff Appreciation Week information and announcements.
Go Pirate STAFF!
Comments Off on Staff Appreciation Week April 7-11th, 2014
CALLING ALL ECU EMPLOYEES!!! Come join the ECU Staff Senate as we host the annual Health Fitness Walk around Laupus Lake (Health Sciences Campus) on Wednesday, October 16th from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
This year, there will be local organizations available to share information about healthy lifestyles, and various vendors including ECHI, ECU Physicians, and the ever-popular ECU Pharmacy Services $1.00 Sale!
There will also be plenty of healthy activities such as health checks and a really fun opportunity to try Zumba!
We hope to see you there!!
Comments Off on Health Fitness Walk – Wednesday, October 16th from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Ride Without Limits is a 2-day charity cycling event benefiting the Easter Seals UCP’s. Riders from throughout the Carolinas and across the US will pedal over 200 miiles along a fully-supported journey.
This event is taking place in beautiful, historic, Washington, NC and has morphed into more than just a charity bicycling event to become more of a festival, with tents, tables, food, venus and activities for the kids!
It takes hundreds of volunteers sharing the work over several days to ensure the success of Ride Without Limits! If you would like to participate, help is needed Wednesday, October 2nd, from 12p – 4p to mark the route (folling directional sheets, placing RWL route markers through Martin and Beaufort counties), Friday, October 4th from 3p – 7p to help set-up tents, tables, stage, etc.., Saturday, October 5th from 10a – 6p to help work the
ECU Staff Senate Rest Stop (be sure to show your Pirate pride!). .
To sign up, please contact Garrett Killian or Martina Christie to sign up by Monday 09/23/13.
Comments Off on Ride Without Limits Event – October 4-6th
We would like to share with you that HB 834, Modernization of the State Personnel Act, was passed by both the Senate and the House on July 25, 2013 and then moved forward for the Governor’s signature.
A few changes that you will note in this bill include:
1. Twelve paid holidays every year
2. Name change from the Office of State Personnel (OSP) to Office of State Human Resources (OSHR)
3. Changes to SPA Grievance Appeal Process
There appear to be no changes that will adversely affect our SPA employees.
The next step will involve the Office of State Personnel working through the revisions outlined in the bill. Once that process is complete, the implementation directives will be forthcoming to all state agencies and universities. This could take some time, but be assured that we will provide you with updates as we receive information.
Interim Associate Vice Chancellor for Human Resources
East Carolina University
Comments Off on HR Legislative Update
Mark your calendars now and be one of the first to welcome our freshmen and returning students to ECU in style. “Plunge Into Purple” and help out with the 13th Annual Pirate Palooza on Monday, August 19th from 6:00 – 9:00 at Dowdy Ficklen Stadium!
We will need quite a few volunteers for Palooza. Many of you have helped in the past, so we hope that you will be back, and we are always looking for new hands on deck! We will be recruiting volunteers later this summer, so if you are on board, mark your calendars now and look for my official recruitment email in mid-July.
For those of you who are not familiar with Pirate Palooza check out this recap from 2012: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc3KrmPdfGg
Comments Off on Volunteers wanted!
Congratulations and best of luck to our new Executive Committee of the 2013-2014 Staff Senate:
Garrett Killian – Chair
Bill Edwards – Chair-elect
Lisa Ormond – Treasurer
Judy Havermann – Secretary
Comments Off on New Executive Committee for 2013-2014
In honor of Staff Appreciation Week, April 15-19, I would like to thank all of our staff for their hard work and dedication to the Health Sciences Division. Each of you brings very special talents and strengths that make this a stellar Division. I am truly honored to work with each of you and value your contributions to the University. Please plan to take advantage of the free or reduced rate activities planned by the ECU Staff Senate throughout this week. I look forward to continuing to work with each of you. It’s a great time to be a Pirate!
Phyllis Horns, Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences
Comments Off on Staff Appreciation Week: A Note from the Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences