Frequently Asked Questions for Incoming Freshman

NCAA Football: Central Florida at East Carolina

What is my PIN and where can I find it?

Your pin is a 6 digit registration code that is required in order to register for classes. You can find it in Port 3 of PIER, as well as by clicking on the Register for Courses tab on the PIER homepage.

What is a hold tag and how can I have it removed?

Hold tags can come from many sources and can stop you from registering or completing other functions on campus. You may have holds from admissions for missing a requirement like a transcript, the cashier’s office for fees due, or for a parking ticket, among others. If you are unsure what your hold means you may contact admissions, cashiers office, or the orientation office. Use Banner to check hold tags to know who to contact.

How do I know how many hours to sign up for and what classes to take?

To be considered a full time student you must be enrolled in at least 12 semester credit hours. To graduate in 4 years, students should average 15-16  semester hours each Fall and Spring semester. To find out which classes to take for your intended major, go to the major’s website and you will find a 4-year plan on the recommended class sequence.

When I try to register for a specific course I receive a Major Restriction message. Why?

Many courses that are specifically required for majors are blocked for students who are declared or intended in that major. There are also some foundations curriculum courses with specific sections reserved for students. A student not declared in the major will not be able to add the course without permission from the department. Usually there will only be 1 or 2 sections blocked off like this and there will be other sections available to all students.

All of the classes I have to take are filled and I am only registered for 2 classes. Is there anything I can do to get into these classes?

The schedule you are creating now is just a starter schedule and can be changed at any time. At Orientation you will have the opportunity to communicate with an academic advisor in your major to help answer any of the questions or address the concerns you may have, as well as make any needed additions or schedule adjustments you may need.

Banner gave me the option to be put on a wait-list. What is this and how does it work?

Students cannot add a closed or filled course. However, wait lists are available for some courses. If you are able to place yourself on the wait list, an email will be sent to your ECU e-mail account if/when a spot opens up. At that time, you will be given a certain amount of time to log on and register yourself for the course.

Can we register for MATH 1065?

Refer to the course guide for your major located in Port 2 of Pier for info on specific math course requirements. Students who score a 540 or higher on the math section of the SAT or a 20 or higher on the ACT can register for MATH 1065,1066, or 2127. If you do not fall into these categories, you must take the placement test during Summer Orientation to place you into the appropriate math for your major. Students who receive AP credit for calculus or who are bringing in transfer credit for math will have the opportunity to speak with a major advisor during orientation.

How do I change my major?

Any student wishing to change his/her major should email and indicate the appropriate major and include their full name and Banner ID.

Leave a Reply