Ten Things to Do On Your Way to East Carolina This Fall
- Read- whether you have to read a book for English 1100 or you just pick up a few books for fun, reading will definitely help keep your mind sharp for fall classes.
- Exercise– Working out regularly will help to keep your body healthy for when school starts and will keep the blood flowing. Exercising will have much greater of a benefit for you than sitting on the couch will.
- Map out your schedule – it is important to know where your classes are and to have the timing between them planned out. When you come for a tour you can locate some of your classes or you can locate them by using the map online. It is also important to plan your wake up and meal times so you never miss class and always have time to eat.
- Save and budget- It is not a bad idea to have a summer job to save up money for school expenses. Make every cent count by creating a spending budget for yourself this way when school starts you buy books, go out with friends, and join clubs.
- Enjoy time with family and friends- since you will be leaving for school shortly, it is important to spend time with loved ones. Take every opportunity you come across because depending on how far you live from school, this could become less frequent.
- Read up on your major/ career path- it is in your best interest to look up possible career paths that your major could lead you to. By doing this you may discover what your options could be after college.
- Buy things for your dorm- most ECU dorms come with a fridge and a microwave, so you may not need to purchase these things. However not all of them are Wi-Fi accessible, so you may need to purchase an Ethernet cable. The dorm beds are all a twin extra long, so you will need to buy twin XL bedding. Also plan on sharing the space with a roommate, so only take what you need.
- Communicate with your roommate- whether you met your roommate at an open house, a roommate-matching site, or on Facebookyou may want to communicate with them on a semi regular basis over the summer. This will give you guys an opportunity to get to know each other better and will make the transition easier for you both. If you are still seeking a roommate, we suggest you find one using our Facebook group ECU Class of 2018- Official Admissions Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/513437455400582/
- Learn how to do laundry- laundry is a must in college, unless you plan on going home every other weekend to get your laundry done, it is a good idea to learn how to do it before you get to school if you don’t know how to do it already. If you’d like to learn right away, click on this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynjiHb6ls2A
- Leave summer job with letters of reference– once you get to college and start applying for part time jobs or internships, they may require you to have a letter of reference. If you get a letter of reference before leaving for college, you will be one step ahead.
Hopefully these tips helped some of you guys prepare for your first year at ECU. Don’t let anything scare you, freshmen year could turn out to be the best year of your life. It is what you make it, so don’t be afraid to branch out.