If you are approved to save FERPA information to your laptop or desktop, CrashPlan is now approved to back up that data.*
Using 448-bit file encryption with minute-by-minute backups, department data is secure and ready to restore in the event of a crash or accidental deletion.
Other CrashPlan features include:
- Unlimited online storage
- Mac and Windows availability
- Real-time dashboard reporting
- Mobile app file viewing
- Web browser file restore
- Online, email and phone support
*NOTE: Pre-approval is REQUIRED to store FERPA information to a laptop, desktop or other individual user device which can then become part of your CrashPlan backup. HIPAA and other sensitive data should be stored on Piratedrive rather than a user’s work device. ECU policy states that credit card information should never be stored anywhere on ECU’s network.
For more information regarding the storage and use of sensitive data, please visit www.ecu.edu/itcs/itsecurity/sensitive-data.cfm.
Licensed by ECU, CrashPlan is available to departments through an annual license fee of $78.50 per user. Each license allows up to four Mac or Windows installations.
For more information on licensing and support, visit the CrashPlan website: www.ecu.edu/itcs/crashplan/.
SAS is now offering SAS University Edition and two training classes for free!
SAS University Edition now available!
SAS now offers to students, professors and researchers the SAS University Edition. It’s easy to use, easy to access and best of all it’s FREE. This is a limited, yet powerful version of SAS offering access to the following components:
- Base SAS
- SAS Studio
If you need access to additional SAS components beyond what the SAS University Edition offers, the SAS Education Analytical Suite is still available, which includes access to the full suite of SAS components, but for a light, simple, scaled-down version, the SAS University Edition may be an option for you.
How to obtain SAS
SAS Education Analytical Suite (Full version)
SAS University Edition (Limited version)
FREE e-Learning Courses
Did you know that SAS offers two free e-Learning courses to help get you started? SAS Programming I willhelp you write SAS programs and Statistics I will help you perform statistical analysis using SAS/STAT. All you need to do is create a SAS account profile and you’ll be on your way to access your training.
Additional SAS courses are available to ECU faculty, staff, and students through the Academic Training Points program. Contact Jennifer Raby (firstname.lastname@example.org) for registration information.
For more information about SAS including supported versions, training & support and other helpful resources, please visit SAS software.
Great news for ECU Pirates- ECU student e-mail accounts will automatically become ECU alumni e-mail accounts upon graduation! This means:
- The email@example.com e-mail address will firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students will keep all of the e-mails that are in their student e-mail account at the time it’s switched over to an alumni e-mail account.
- Students will receive all future e-mail sent to email@example.com e-mail address, even after graduation, because it will be automatically delivered to their firstname.lastname@example.org address (however, after graduation, students will no longer be able to SEND from email@example.com e-mail address).
- Students will be able to log into their firstname.lastname@example.org e-mail account with the PirateID and Passphrase they have at the time their student e-mail account is switched over.
- Students’ new ECU alumni e-mail account will have their online mailbox and OneDrive file storage; the Office suite of software (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) they have as a current student is not available as part of ECU alumni e-mail.
- The only change students will need to make as part of this process is to the e-mail address on any of their mobile devices that access their current ECU student e-mail account. STUDENTS WILL RECEIVE A NOTIFICATION FROM ECU WHEN THEY NEED TO MAKE THIS CHANGE.
|Friendly reminder: Changes to ECU’s Buccaneer wireless network
On Sunday, January 4, 2015 (revised date), ITCS will be requiring users to have the Cisco NAC Agent installed on Windows computers prior to accessing network resources through the ECU BUCCANEER wireless network.
This change is being implemented as a means to safeguard the ECU network, systems, and data against computer viruses and vulnerabilities. This software determines whether or not your system is up to date with critical updates to the operating system and if you have an acceptable antivirus application loaded with current virus definitions.
- ECU-owned Windows mobile computers will receive the Cisco NAC Agent automatically through ITCS Desktop Technologies Support. An announcement regarding the installation of the NAC Agent will be forthcoming.
- For personal Windows computers, the Cisco NAC Agent software is available via the ECU Download Center
- Windows users are encouraged to download and install the Cisco NAC Agent prior to Sunday, January 4
The software is not available for iPads, Windows Tablets, Google Chrome Books and Smartphones. These types of devices will be allowed access to the network without the software
Will this change the way I connect to the Buccaneer wireless network?
Upon connecting to the ECU BUCCANEER wireless network, the Windows user will be prompted to install the Cisco NAC Agent prior to accessing network resources through the ECU BUCCANEER wireless network if the agent is not already installed.
Once installed, the software will determine if you need to install critical updates to your operating system or current virus definitions to your Antivirus application. We encourage you to follow any recommendations to update your device(s); however, if you choose not to install updates at this time, you will still be able to connect to the Buccaneer network.
As of March 2015, you will be required to follow the Cisco NAC Agent recommendations and install critical updates to your operating system or current virus definitions to your antivirus application.