The CrashPlan backup utility is now approved for use with FERPA informaiton.* Using 448-bit file encryption with minute-by-minute backups, department data is secure and ready to restore in the event of a crash or accidental deletion.
Other CrashPlan features include:
- Unlimited online storage
- Mac and Windows availability
- Real-time dashboard reporting
- Mobile app file viewing
- Web browser file restore
- Online, email and phone support
Licensed by ECU, CrashPlan is available to departments through an annual license fee of $78.50 per user. Each license allows up to four Mac or Windows installations.
For more information on licensing and support, visit the CrashPlan website: www.ecu.edu/itcs/crashplan/.
*CrashPlan is approved for FERPA data. However, HIPAA and other sensitive data should always be stored on Piratedrive rather than your computer’s hard drive or CrashPlan. ECU policy states that credit card information should never be stored anywhere on ECU’s network.
AirWatch MDM Agent is a mobile app that provides faculty and staff secure access to ECU’s online resources. It is required that all ECU-owned smartphones and tablets and personal mobile devices accessing or storing sensitive data have AirWatch configured. Personal devices that do not access or store sensitive information are not required to install AirWatch.
Beginning this week, if you access or store sensitive data using an ECU-purchased mobile device or your personal smartphone/tablet, you should implement the AirWatch app. See the website – www.ecu.edu/itcs/itsecurity/mdm.cfm – for instructions and profile options.
During installation, security measures are configured for the device according to one of three organizational profiles:
- University. Generic profile required for all ECU-purchased mobile devices. No sensitive data is accessed or stored on the device.
- Sensitive. For ECU-owned and personal devices that access sensitive data through a browser. For example, AirWatch Inbox and AirWatch Browser are part of this installation. For example, an administrator accesses email containing FERPA data using an Android phone.
- Workspace. Required profile for ECU-owned and personal devices that store sensitive information. For example, a medical resident stores patient notes on an iPad.
- Certain departments, such as the College of Education, also have an AirWatch profile. Members should ask department administrators for profile details.
For more information on profile options and instructions on installation and configuration of the AirWatch app, please visit the AirWatch website: www.ecu.edu/itcs/itsecurity/mdm.cfm
Still have questions? Call the IT Help Desk, 252.328.9866 | 800.340.7081.