ECU is committed to a high standard of accessibility compliance
East Carolina University is committed to providing technology and educational resources, such as applications, computer labs, learning platforms, web pages and multimedia content, that comply with accessibility standards so all users can fully participate in our mission of learning, service and research.
By establishing an IT accessibility and compliance program and keeping up to date with current trends in educational technology and web development, ECU is addressing needs to ensure access. Further, we have formalized this commitment with the Information Technology Accessibility regulation approved September 2017.
The Department for Disability Support Services, ITCS and the IT Accessibility Committee have worked in partnership to research standard practices and compliance resources which we present here to assist you in creating accessible content.
- Course Review. An IT Accessibility Consultant can review your Blackboard course for accessibility. The course review uses a checklist (Accessible Content Checklist) to identify if your content is accessible to those using a screen reader, keyboard-only access, voice input and enlargement software. Request an IT Accessibility Consultation by submitting this form.
- Website Review. ECU’s quality assurance and accessibility web tool, Siteimprove, identifies broken links, misspellings and accessibility issues within your xxxxx.ecu.edu website or blog. Submit the Siteimprove report form to request a monthly report for your website or blog.
- Existing Software Review. We provide accessibility consultation services to review implemented, in-use department software systems and applications based on 508 Standards – Software Applications and Operating Systems. This review identifies accessibility and compatibility issues with keyboard-only access, voice input, screen reader and enlargement software.
- New Software Purchase Review. As part of the purchasing process, we review new software based on 508 Standards – Software Applications and Operating Systems. This review identifies accessibility and compatibility issues using keyboard-only access, voice input, screen reader and enlargement software.Explore exemptions and exceptions, evaluation criteria, alternative action plans, Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) reviews with an overview of the process from the Electronic and IT Accessibility Evaluation Criteria page. For assistance, submit an IT Accessibility Review service request.
- General IT Accessibility. Contact the IT Accessibility Consultant for general IT Accessibility questions such as, “How do I create accessible Microsoft Word documents?” by submitting an IT Accessibility Consultation request through the IT service request system.
- Training. See this roster of IT accessibility training, from online content and websites to PDF and Word documents.
While ensuring IT accessibility at ECU is a process, we have divided it into categories for your convenience:
- Web Publishing Standards
- Software Reviews
- Accessible Course Content
- Accessible Email Announcements
- Video Captioning Requirements
If you have questions or need assistance please submit the IT Accessibility Consultation request to schedule an IT Accessibility Consultation or contact the IT Help Desk at 252.328.9866 | 800.340.7081.