Spring 2015 – Prepare for Semester
It’s that time again, ECU faculty — Spring Semester! Here are some Blackboard things that are helpful to know as you prepare for the start of the semester. You probably have a long list of things to do, so this whether you teach face to face, distance, or both, this info will help.
- Scenario: You are ready to make your course available to students. Solution: Login to Blackboard. Go to your Spring course:
Go to the Control Panel. Next, click Customization > Properties > Set Availability. Under Duration, please leave Continuous checked; do not choose the date selection option. Courses are not made available automatically – each instructor decides when to turn the course on for the semester. ALSO, please make your Fall ’14 sites unavailable (same instructions).
- Scenario: You want your Fall ’14 course content copied into your Spring ’15 course. Solution: Course Copy tool. You can do this yourself with the instructions in this Course Copy PDF. Cautions and important notes: Only do the course copy ONCE. Do not assume “it didn’t take” and repeat the process because it will result in duplicate or triplicate content. During peak times (pre-semester), it may take a little longer than you anticipate because many instructors are doing the same thing. Do not do course copies multiple times for “pieces” of the source course. Do not do course copies if you want to import one or two exams. Use the export/import feature under Tests, Surveys, Pools. Your destination course (spring) will end in 201530 – please double check that you are copying to the correct semester.
- Scenario: You teach more than one section and use the exact content for each section and would like to avoid building duplicate courses. Solution: Section Merge. You can do this yourself with the instructions in this Section Merge PDF. You’ll find the Section Merge tab at the top of your Blackboard page once logged in (screenshot below). Caution: Make sure you merge your sections ending in 201530 (year 2015, fall semester is 30). If you make a mistake, do NOT click Remove; choose Modify.
- Scenario: You use Tegrity for lecture capture, or want to use Tegrity, in your Blackboard course. Or you have Mediasite videos in your Bb course. Solution: Before you do a course copy or request a course copy, contact Allen Dennis or Percevial Murphy. Or visit ECU’s Tegrity Blog and/or Mediasite Blog.
- Scenario: You are tired of seeing so many courses in your course list in Blackboard. Solution: Hide the courses you do not want to see. You can do this yourself with the instructions in this PDF document, How to Hide Past Courses.
- Scenario: You would like to start using LockDown Browser to give online exams. Solution: Click the Blackboard Support tab at the top of your screen once logged into Blackboard. You’ll find a link for info, plus the URL to provide to students.
- Blackboard Blog for PDFs, videos, etc. Faculty Support
- Blackboard Blog for PDFs, videos, etc. DE Faculty Support
- Blackboard Blog for PDFs, videos, etc. Student Support
Questions about anything? We’re here for you! Your Blackboard Support Team: