Instructors: Prepping for FALL 2016 Semester
The Top 10 Most Frequently Asked Questions from Instructors
- How do I make my course available to students?
- Control Panel > Customization > Properties > Set Availability > Yes
- We (Bb Support) do not automatically make your courses available. It is up to the instructor to make the courses available to students.
- How do I log into Blackboard? I get a message that my username or password is incorrect.
- Please submit a help ticket asking for assistance, and include your Banner number and your username.
- How do I copy my course from one semester to the next? Go here.
- How do I merge (or collapse) two or more course sections? Go here.
- How do I add another instructor or a TA to the course?
- Control Panel > Users and Groups > User > Find User to Enroll > Browse (type username only in the box), click Go > when you see the username, click the box and then Submit.
- If that does not work, please send an email to email@example.com with the username and role (TA or instructor). The Blackboard team will add your TA or instructor.
- Does a browser change really make a difference with Blackboard?
- Yes it does. Firefox and Google Chrome are still favorite browsers for Blackboard, even for the Mac. It’s a common suggestion from the Blackboard team, “Please try another browser.”
- We’ve also found that clearing the browser’s cache/history every couple of weeks is useful when there are display issues (such as in the gradebook). It just takes a few seconds to clear your cache/history. Instructions are here.
- I don’t see SafeAssign as an Assessment. Where is it?
- If you notice the SafeAssign green-check icon is missing in your courses, there is nothing wrong. SafeAssign is a submission option when creating an actual assignment, and the green icon is a thing of the past. The assignment icon is the same for a SafeAssignment and regular Assignment. (That happened a year ago, after the May 2015 upgrade.)
- Drops & Adds – How does that work?
- We update the Blackboard feeds frequently at the beginning of the semester, syncing data with Banner multiple times per day. The drops and adds are updated from Banner – you do not need to remove or add students.
- If you use Groups in your courses, consider waiting to add groups until you’re pretty sure your roster is stable and there won’t be many more drops and adds.
- What kind of Blackboard training do you offer instructors?
- To search for Blackboard training sessions, please log into ECU’s Cornerstone Portal for training.
- If you do not see what you need, please contact one of us for a desk-side or small group departmental training session.
- Blackboard has a YouTube channel for instructors where you will find short instructional videos for the different tools and features in Blackboard: Go here.
- Do I need to do anything special at the beginning of the semester if I use Tegrity or Mediasite in my courses? Yes.
As of May 2016, ECU uses TeamDynamix for our help ticketing system, so for any technology-related questions, please submit a help ticket or call the Help Desk @ 252-328-9866.
Blackboard Support Team