Fall Semester 2016
Respondus LockDown Browser for Students
LockDown Browser (LDB) is a special browser for online test-taking, and it is also a building block in Blackboard. Some instructors require that online tests be taken using LDB as the browser. All other programs on your computer (email, YouTube, Facebook, etc.) need to be closed down for the install to continue (you will be prompted). If you plan to use computer labs on campus to take your exams, skip the download/install instructions. Campus lab computers have LDB installed.
- Download LDB to your desktop. Link for Download
- Look for the Respondus LockDown Browser icon on your desktop (screenshot left). Click, and log into Blackboard. Find your test, and Begin.
- Respondus now has a Help Center, if you run into any difficulties while taking an online test. See below.
Respondus recently added a “Help Center” button to the toolbar of LockDown Browser that lets students run a system check on their computer, networking environment, and the Learning Management System (Blackboard) itself. The data is presented in a simple format that allows students to solve basic problems, such as a computer with poor Internet connectivity.
It is easy for students to send this technical information to our ECU help desk, Blackboard Support email inbox, or open a ticket directly with Respondus. Providing the System Check information speeds up the troubleshooting process. There is also a student-centric knowledge base within LockDown Browser. If you are not certain you want to click the Terms & Conditions box when utilizing some of the help features, you can contact Blackboard Support at firstname.lastname@example.org or submit a help ticket with ECU’s Help Desk.
- Any reference to the Respondus Web Monitor can be ignored. We have not adopted that product.
- Always communicate with your instructor if you run into any difficulties taking your test in LDB.
- (Do another install at the beginning of each semester – no need for uninstalling.)
- Submit a Help Ticket to the Respondus LockDown Browser queue with any issues not solved in the LDB Help Center.
- For general questions, send an email to: email@example.com