Test Availability Exceptions with Date/Time Availability Settings
We’ve noticed something that might confuse instructors when using Test Availability Exceptions in the Test Options in Blackboard. (It is a known issue in Blackboard; we don’t know yet when the fix will be available.)
SCENARIO: Instructor creates a quiz, sets date and time availability for opening on (example) 7/16/15, 11:00 AM, and closing down at 7/19/15, 11:00 PM. Instructor wants Student A to have early access to the quiz on 7/15/15, 11:00 AM (also closing down at 7/19/15, 11:00 PM). Test Availability Exceptions settings are in place for the quiz to open one day early for Student A. Instructor clicks Submit.
RESULT: Settings are perfect for all students, settings are perfect for Student A. However, after the instructor clicks submit, it appears that the quiz is available now to all students. See the screenshot below.
REASSURANCE: When the instructor clicks the Student Preview icon at the top of the course page, the full student preview will not display the Quiz with the test availability exception. The Student Preview feature in Blackboard shows Blackboard from the student’s point of view.
Student Preview Mode
Again, the quiz will not appear to any students before the time/date availability. Only Student A will see the quiz the day before the other students.
Questions? Send us a note!
ISSUE: We have discovered the Question Completion Status/Timer Bar floats on the bottom of the page for students taking timed exams. It may cover parts of the question, radio buttons, and/or answer boxes. This is happening for exams with the settings for “one question at a time” and “all questions on one page.”
SOLUTION: At this time, we are recommending the timer not be used on exams taken in Blackboard. We are working on a fix.
Exam with one question at a time
Exam is set to show all questions on one page
The YouTube Mashup Tool does not work properly in Blackboard. Following are some options for adding a YouTube video to a Blackboard course:
Add a YouTube URL to a content area:
1) Copy the link from YouTube, and use the “Insert/Edit Embedded Media” icon to paste that link/URL address. Please see the first screenshot. 2) If you just want the link highlighted in your text box, see the second screenshot. Highlight your word(s) you want linked to the YouTube video, then click the “Insert/Edit Link” icon and add the hyperlink. We suggest the target link is set to “open in a new window” option. Then click Insert.
Use the embed Video option, add the URL
Add a link to a YouTube video
One long-awaited instructor feature and one often-used tool are the topics of this post.
- A full and complete student view in your course, including a view of the gradebook, is now available. At last! Blackboard has a mini-video that we highly recommend watching. It’s a little over one minute in length, and it will provide a demo, plus give some hints. Please go here.
- SafeAssignment is now included under the Assignment Tool. When you click “Add Assignment,” you will have the option to choose a regular assignment or a SafeAssignment. The change is not huge, but you can learn more here.
- Anonymous Grading and Delegated Grading are also new features that may be of interest. If so, please go here.
Upon leaving full student view, this box will appear. Click this image to enlarge.
System/Service: Blackboard Downtime
When: May 11th at 9:00am to May 15th at 5:00pm
Blackboard will be unavailable Monday, May 11th from 9:00am to Friday, May 15th at 5:00pm for planned maintenance. During this downtime, Tegrity users will not be able to access the Tegrity lecture capture service.
New Features / Feature updates:
(New Feature – Full Student View) Upon leaving student view, this box will appear. Click this image to enlarge.
To check the authenticity of this e-mail:
Visit www.ecu.edu, and click on the “Help Desk” link under the “Quick Links” section on the right-hand side. This will take you to the ECU IT Help Desk page where you can review our “Announcements” section.
If you experience any difficulties in relation to this announcement or have any questions, please contact the ECU IT Help Desk by phone at 252-328-9866 or via the Web at www.help.ecu.edu.
ITCS Notifications: www.ecu.edu/cs-itcs/allnotices.cfm
Computing Systems Maintenance Schedule
Please keep in mind that regular maintenance on all computing systems is performed on Sundays between the hours of 5:00 am – 12:00 pm. If there are other times that systems will be down, notification will be sent through ITCS Notifications.
Instructor New Features Summer 2015 Upgrade
- Student View – As an instructor, you want to be confident that your course is well designed and functions as intended—before your students see it. Use student preview to review the course content and validate the course behaviors, such as those that control the availability of course content or require a particular interaction from the student to be triggered.
- Safe Assignments – SafeAssign is now integrated into regular Blackboard Learn assignments. With the integration between SafeAssign and regular assignments, almost all of the regular assignment features are available with the SafeAssign service.
- Course Calendar – You can use the course calendar to provide students with dates for course-related events. Course calendar events appear to all members of the course. Common entries include the following items: Meetings, Office Hours, Exams, Course items with due dates.
- Anonymous Grading – Whenever you want to add another layer of fairness and impartiality to your grading, you can use the anonymous grading feature. Without knowing who submitted an assignment, you are not unduly influenced by a student’s previous performance, class participation, conflicts, race, gender, or perceived student aptitude. This practice can also contribute to the student-instructor relationship because students are assured that grading was unbiased.
- Delegated Grading – Using grades and feedback from more than one grader helps to promote reliability and remove bias. For large classes, you can divide up the grading tasks among TAs and other graders. Roles with default grading privileges include instructor, teaching assistant, and grader.The users who help you grade are called delegated graders and they provide provisional grades. Delegated graders follow the same grading steps that you do, however, the group of assignment attempts that they see are based on the options you choose. After all delegated graders provide grades and feedback, one or more instructors review the grading to determine a final grade or reconcile it.
- Content Editor – The Content Editor spell check option is now ON by default.
- Significant Digits – Calculated Formula questions present students with a question that requires them to make a calculation and respond with a numeric answer. The numbers in the question change with each user and are pulled from a range that you set. The correct answer is a specific value or a range of values. You may grant partial credit for answers falling within a range. Calculated Formula questions are graded automatically.
- Portfolio – (please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com before you start using this new tool ) Portfolios are an invaluable tool in academic and professional development. They provide a powerful medium for users to efficiently collect and organize artifacts representative of work completed over time.
Student Auto Update for the Respondus Lockdown Browser.
All students running the LockDown Browser Student Edition for Windows are alreadyon version 1.0.7.08 through the automatic managed updates. To manually update to the latest version, they can click on the “i” button in the LockDown Browser toolbar. When the Information dialog appears, they can click on “Check for Newer Version” to start the update process:
Image here —> http://www.screencast.com/t/T9bjVCMnZ0l
If you have any questions at all please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for Lockdown Browser Support.
Summer Semester 2015 will be here shortly! Here are some Blackboard things that are helpful to know as you prepare for the start of the semester. You probably have a long list of things to do, so this whether you teach face to face, distance, or both, this info will help.
- Scenario: You are ready to make your course available to students. Solution: Login to Blackboard. Go to your Summer course(s):
Go to the Control Panel. Next, click Customization > Properties > Set Availability. Under Duration, please leave Continuous checked; do not choose the date selection option. Courses are not made available automatically – each instructor decides when to turn the course on for the semester. ALSO, please make your Spring 2015 sites unavailable (same instructions).
- Scenario: You want your Summer 2014 course content copied into your Summer 2015 course. Solution: Course Copy tool. You can do this yourself with the instructions in this Course Copy PDF. Cautions and important notes: Only do the course copy ONCE. Do not assume “it didn’t take” and repeat the process because it will result in duplicate or triplicate content. During peak times (pre-semester), it may take a little longer than you anticipate because many instructors are doing the same thing. IMPORTANT: Your destination course (SUMMER) will end in 201540, 201550, OR 201560, depending on the session. So, Summer 1 = 201540, Summer 11-week = 201550, Summer 2 = 201560. Please double-check those semester/session codes, to make sure you are copying to the correct semester. NOTES: 1) Do not course copy multiple times for “pieces” or “selections” of the source course. 2) Do not course copy if you want to import one or two or a few exams. Instead, use the export/import feature under Tests, Surveys, Pools. You’ll find instructions on importing/exporting tests on the Faculty Support or DE Faculty Support pages.
- Scenario: You teach more than one section and use the exact content for each section and would like to avoid building duplicate courses. Solution: Section Merge. You can do this yourself with the instructions in this Section Merge PDF. You’ll find the Section Merge tab at the top of your Blackboard page once logged in (please see the screenshot below). Caution: Make sure you merge your sections ending in 201540, 201550, OR 201560, depending on the session/semester. You will be merging sections from the same session/semester. If you make a mistake, do NOT click Remove; choose Modify. Or contact the Bb Support Team.
- Scenario: You use Tegrity for lecture capture, or want to use Tegrity, in your Blackboard course. Or you have Mediasite videos in your Bb course. Solution: Before you do a course copy or request a course copy, contact Allen Dennis or Percevial Murphy. Or visit ECU’s Tegrity Blog and/or Mediasite Blog.
- Scenario: You are tired of seeing so many courses in your course list. Solution: Hide the courses you do not want to see. You can do this yourself with the instructions in this PDF document, How to Hide Past Courses.
- Scenario: You would like to start using, or consider using, LockDown Browser to give online exams in a secure environment in order to deter academic dishonesty in online exams. Solution: Click the Blackboard Support tab at the top of your screen once logged into Blackboard. You’ll find a link for info, plus the URL to provide to students.
- Blackboard Blog for PDFs, videos, etc. Faculty Support
- Blackboard Blog for PDFs, videos, etc. DE Faculty Support
- Blackboard Blog for PDFs, videos, etc. Student Support
Questions about anything? We’re here for you! Your Blackboard Support Team:
If you have been redirected to this blog post that means that Bb is in the middle of a planned downtime for system maintenance. The scheduled downtime is from 12/29/14 am thru 1/2 /15 8am.
If you have any questions please call the ECU helpdesk at 252-328-9866. You can also check the ANNOUNCEMENTS area of the following website for Bb downtime updates.
Thank you for your patience.
ECU Bb Support Team
Spring Semester for ECU students starts January 12, 2015.
Brody School of Medicine Spring Semester schedule:
- Classes for M1, M2, M3 begin January 5th.
- Classes for M4 begin January 12th.
Note to students: It is up to each instructor when to make classes available. Some instructors open their Blackboard courses early, some wait until the first day of class. If you have received an email from an instructor notifying you that your Blackboard course is available, but it is not, please send a reply to the instructor letting him or her know that the course is not showing.