First exams are being taken and assignments handed in. How are your students doing? Hopefully they are doing well but if not perhaps you might want to change something, add student response questions using Turning Point or the recent app I wrote about Socrative. If you are in one of the general classrooms we can easily record your lecture, you can control whether students view the lecture and/or how long it is available. We can even make podcasts or vodcasts for those students who have to commute daily.
Perhaps you would like to explore different ways students can collaborate or create their own content to share with class.
As I posted in the summer ITC’s can help with online and face to face classes.
Check out the training calendar or schedule something specific.
Every so often I come across something that I think everyone knows but just in case here are some iPad tips!
Helpful Hint: How to copy and paste.
Tap and hold finger over area/item to copy. A copy dialogue option will appear.
Expand the selection handles over the entire area of text to copy.
Tap to paste.
Helpful Hint: How to take a screen shot (screen capture).
To capture the screen image or take a screenshot on your iPad, just press and hold the Home button and then press the On/Off button at the top of the device so that you are holding down both buttons simultaneously for a brief second. The iPad screen will flash and the image will be automatically saved and stored in the photos area.
Helpful Hint: How to lock screen orientation (portrait or landscape).
Start by holding the iPad in the direction you’d like to lock it, and then press the Home button twice quickly, like a double-click. The new task switcher will show up at the bottom of the screen, and then you’ll want to slide your finger over to the right to access the new screen hidden on the left. Once you can see the new screen, click the button on the bottom left-hand side of the screen, and it will lock.
Helpful Hint: How to delete an icon.
One of your colleagues turned me on to this really neat software/app that can be used across devices and is really simple. It is called Socrative and here are is what your colleague had to say about it –
“I love that app – it really works well. . .easy to use!”
It is a free student response system that works on any device, phones, tablets, computers. It provides real-time data and saves a ton of time on grading. Like Turning Point but without clickers!
Stop by OET for a demo, it takes minutes to start using!
An idea I found and would work well with the Air Media Tool in all our classrooms.
“. . .prepare a set of questions, that students will be able to answer by paying careful attention to a video presentation. Ask the students to bring their laptop or tablet to class for an assignment they’ll complete during class. Before showing the video, have the students gather into groups, look at the questions, and decide how they will approach answering them. Explain that if they pay careful attention to the video, they’ll be able to answer the questions. You can make it a friendly competition involved with this activity. At the end of the video, students are given the chance to view each group’s answers and then vote for the group that’s produced the best learning resource, which cannot be their own group. Donuts are always a good incentive!
Students indicated afterwards that they appreciated the exercise because it kept them engaged in the video and they found the sharing of the online questions and answers helpful to their thinking and processing of the ideas presented by the speaker on the video. “
Might be worth a try! Contact OET for an Air Media demonstration.
With the start of the semester some gentle hints. Thanking you in advance!
Those who are recording please remember to press the button on the front of the mic so that it turns green or blinks slowly for those who are color blind and PLEASE remember to replace the mic in its charging cradle upon the end of your class so the next person has a charged mic make sure the button is facing you in the charger.
The wireless mouse also needs to be returned to its charging cradle as well so it is working for the next user.
This is a busy semester so take a moment and find out who may be teaching immediately before or after you, because schedules are so tight they may not want you to shut down the room if someone is coming in directly after you or you are the person coming in after. BUT do remember to LOG OFF so that no one can use your credentials.
And if there is no one immediately after you please Shut down the room and Log off the computer.
Questions, thoughts, comments or complaints please let OET know!
Have a great semester!
Some quick reminders and links as we start a new semester in a new year!
Course Copy, Merge, – Merge and Copy
Make Available –
- Control Panel > Customization > Properties > Set Availability > Yes
Add instructor, TA to course –
- Control Panel > Users and Groups > User > Find User to Enroll > type username only in the box > change role if needed, and then Submit.
- If that does not work, please send an email to email@example.com with the username and role (TA or instructor). The Blackboard team will add your TA or instructor.
Mediasite Desktop Recording – click here
Embed Mediasite into Blackboard – click here
Saba Web Conferencing – click here
Turning Point Cloud – click here
Using Turning Point 5 in Allied Health – contact OET
Tegrity – click here
Yammer – click here
Lockdown Browser – click here
Anything else? Contact OET for assistance!
Click here for Holiday Greetings!
Try something new and listen to the comments from your colleagues on why they use Lecture Capture in their classrooms for face to face students
- Allows students to hear and see the lecture or aspects of the lecture more than once especially if they are struggling with concepts; this is direct comments from my students as to why they re-watch the videos.
- If a student is ill or has a family emergency, they can watch the video and then seek clarification of questions along with hearing their peers questions and my responses from the lecture section. Bonus is that I have lectures from previous year in case I become ill, campus closures, or cancelled guest lectures to be able to fill in quickly.
- I have heard faculty state they don’t want to record because it could encourage students to skip class; the university has a policy on excused absences that I enforce. My lectures has mini-quizzes (clickers) or learning activities and the students that skip are not allowed to make the missed points unless it is an excused absence.
- I record the student’s presentations and make them watch the video, this provides them the opportunity to view themselves and evaluate themselves to improve future presentations (aspect of enhancing professionalism).
- I watch a couple of videos each semester, especially when I feel a lecture didn’t go as well as I had planned it to go, in order to critique myself and make improvements in my teaching.
- Evidence for me when a student states that I said something in class, I can go back and view to determine what was actually stated during the session.
And from another colleague Jo Naylor, PhD.
“I want my Distance Education Students to have the same opportunities as my On Campus Students to watch my lectures during the scheduled class time if they are able. I also want my On Campus students to have the opportunity to watch the lectures during their class time if they are home due to illness or were not able to return from a holiday because they have the class time built into their schedules.”
What you say? December just began! But yes Spring Semester is just over a month away and preparations are underway. To tag on to my BB cohorts check out their things-to-do-list for spring semester, reminders on how to do section merges, course copy, etc can be found here.
If you plan on recording using Mediasite contact your ITC and if you are planning on using Tegrity please put in a help desk ticket.
As some of you are aware Turning Point will be upgrade in some areas to Turning Point Cloud so if your students have clickers and you use this tool with the Blackboard plugin you want to set up a Turning Cloud account https://account.turningtechnologies.com/
But if you are not ready to jump into Spring yet OET can help you close out your Fall Semester.
Questions just send your request.
I know I talk/write often about lecture capture but there is another tool available to faculty and students which can be used for both synchronous and asynchronous delivery. Some faculty use it along with their lecture capture. The tool has become more user friendly than its former name Centra. Click on the picture to find out more or contact OET for a demonstration in real time!
Saba Meeting is a Web conferencing program where a group of people interact in a virtual online meeting environment. Saba Meeting can be accessed live anytime, anywhere attendees have an Read more