5. Select Print and print as PDF so you can save and print or send directly to your printer
No it’s not football season and the baseball team has just started back practicing. But many of you are giving first exams and/or projects and now it is time to grade. Rubrics help and Blackboard enables you to add rubrics for grading. You can also use inline grading directly in Blackboard. Perhaps you would rather give more personal feedback using audio and video then try one of the newest tools available directly in Blackboard, Voice Thread.
Need information on any of these tools contact this office for a demo.
Found your own tool that works, share it here!
As Spring Semester is in full swing I have been exploring the technology buzz of 2017, in between recordings, that is!
This is a long article from Campus Technology but raises some interesting possibilities, one of which is in the last suggestion one that I particularly like “Consider moving toward team-based methods of creating and delivering content — including the use of students on such teams.” (https://campustechnology.com/Articles/2017/01/18/11-Ed-Tech-Trends-to-Watch-in-2017.aspx?Page=7)
Please share any apps you may have discovered that may help your colleagues or students. “What’s in your wallet?”
- Open System Preferences, either from the Dock or from the Apple menu.
- In the System Preferences, select the General preference pane.
- The middle section of the General preference pane controls when scroll bars appear.
- Select “Always” from the Show Scroll Bars options.
With the change from Turning Point to Turning Cloud I have not had many requests for use of this neat technology. I still have many clickers that can be borrowed and the latest version of TurningPoint Cloud will allow for anyone to pass out clickers to get anonymous responses that they can display immediately on the screen. Clickers only have to be licensed now if you want to collect the response data (quizzes, attendance, etc.).
If you would like to collect responses there is a free app called Socrative! I posted about it last year and one of your colleagues is using it this semester. From their website “Socrative is your classroom app for fun, effective classroom engagement. No matter where or how you teach, Socrative allows you to instantly connect with students as learning happens.
Quickly assess students with prepared activities or on-the-fly questions to get immediate insight into student understanding. Then use auto-populated results to determine the best instructional approach to most effectively drive learning.”
Want a demo? Contact this office.
So usually I post on Wednesday’s and I am a day late but I am blaming that on Mike Kennedy. For those of you who were unable to attend his farewell reception yesterday that’s where I was instead of writing my weekly blog. Some of you may know him well others not so well but I have worked with Dr. Kennedy since he came to our college and will miss him. As one of the early adopters of many technologies offered here at the university he has been one of my “best” customers. Not only did he try many tools but provided great feedback on their use within his course delivery as well as in the classroom. So today I challenge all to try something new this semester!
I am not a Blue Devil but we can also do what they are doing and more
Check out this article Why Duke University Medical Students Excel with Mediasite
As well as using banked recordings and using Desktop Recordings when classes are canceled!
Some quick reminders and links as we start a new semester in a new year! Startup tips from BB can be found here.
Make Available –
- Control Panel > Customization > Properties > Set Availability > Yes
Add instructor, TA to course –
- Control Panel > Users and Groups > User > Find User to Enroll > type username only in the box > change role if needed, and then Submit.
- If that does not work, please send an email to email@example.com with the username and role (TA or instructor). The Blackboard team will add your TA or instructor.
Mediasite Desktop Recording – click here
Embed Mediasite into Blackboard – click here
Saba Web Conferencing – click here
Turning Point Cloud – click here
Using Turning Point 5 in Allied Health – contact OET
Tegrity – click here
Yammer – click here
Lockdown Browser – click here
Some new tools to consider Voice Thread and Blackboard Collaborate, Collaborate is a web conferencing program which enables a group of people to interact with one another in a virtual online meeting environment. Collaborate can be accessed “live” anytime from anywhere attendees have access to a computer and an Internet connection. Meetings in Collaborate can be recorded, so those unable to attend the live meeting are able to play back the meeting at a later time.
Anything else? Contact OET for assistance!
Just best wishes for a safe and happy Christmas and New Year’s. Please click the picture below for OET’s Christmas Showcase of Fall Semester 2016!
I subscribed to various blogs, newsletters and one is the “Centre for Learning and Performance Technologies” and there has been a countdown to Christmas with various daily links some interesting and some not so, but a couple of stood out so far which perhaps you may want to try next semester.
- The link was to a Diary as an illustration of providing content with daily entries. Providing a daily flow of content this way, is a great way to deliver what I call a continuous knowledge or learning flow. Is there some content you might provide in this format?
- Learn Free Magic Tricks – why not a little entertainment?
- Highbrow – Have you tried this format for your own courses – 5-minute lessons delivered to inboxes every morning?
- This is one I am checking out Chef2Chef Online Cooking Class
- Put your search skills to test with a Google a day
- RANDOM WIKI PAGE Learn something new every day – without really trying!
- More fun for those DWTS wanna be’s – Learn to Dance Online
- 15 minutes of fiction every day – or How about making e-learning content available like this?
Those are a few, take a break and browse something may just give you an idea to try something new!